NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 15:23
NAXJA Forum User

Drill and tap thermostat housing?

I'm been looking for a solution to add a threaded temp sensor for my taurus fan swap as I'm not very fond of the radiator probe type. I came across a "high flow" thermostat housing made by hesco that has an extra temp sensor hole. I don't really need or want anything "high flow" since my jeep has no issues with running hot or overheating. From what I can tell, it's just a factory housing that has been modified. Has anybody has any luck drilling and tapping their thermostat housing with any success? I've posted the link below so you can see the extra hole drilled and tapped in the housing face. I also tried searching but I can't get it to work on mobile.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...8&header=false
Old September 3rd, 2017, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Drill and tap thermostat housing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...Ap74EALw_ wcB

This one comes with a ground stud, you will otherwise need to find the correct 2 wire that will cycle at the correct temps. You'll want one that comes on at 195.....any later and you'll be catching up and running hot.

The Hesco is BS, try finding a good switch with 1/4 npt and the correct cycle temps.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 16:08
NAXJA Forum User

That's where the temp sender is on a late model!
Old September 3rd, 2017, 16:10
NAXJA Member

Drilling and taping the housing isn't difficult. Make sure which threads you need for the sensor as most are NP and not a SAE. If it is NPT don't get crazy with the tap as NPT is a tapered thread, go to far and the sensor won't seal. I do it to and temp sensors to older boat motors all the time, that's how I know about getting out of control with the tap.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 16:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Driver View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...Ap74EALw_ wcB

This one comes with a ground stud, you will otherwise need to find the correct 2 wire that will cycle at the correct temps. You'll want one that comes on at 195.....any later and you'll be catching up and running hot.

The Hesco is BS, try finding a good switch with 1/4 npt and the correct cycle temps.
I looked at those as an option too and may use one as a last resort. I just thought it would look a lot cleaner to mount it on the housing instead 9f having to cut a hose. Also, the fan controller I'm going to use is fully adjustable and comes with the sending unit.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 16:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawagoneer View Post
Drilling and taping the housing isn't difficult. Make sure which threads you need for the sensor as most are NP and not a SAE. If it is NPT don't get crazy with the tap as NPT is a tapered thread, go to far and the sensor won't seal. I do it to and temp sensors to older boat motors all the time, that's how I know about getting out of control with the tap.
Yeah the sending unit is 1/4x15 not. I know that the threads taper to help the connection seal.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 17:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
Yeah the sending unit is 1/4x15 npt. I know that the threads taper to help the connection seal.
Old September 4th, 2017, 18:22
NAXJA Member

The Hesco housing is rather nice. They just cut away some of the restriction inside, a little more flow will never hurt.
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:34
NAXJA Member #659

pretty sure the newer model housing will work with the correct adapter for the sensor. I did that on my 88. threaded adapter from Lowes, Home Depot etc
Old September 13th, 2017, 21:21
NAXJA Member

The stock housing has a little flat spot on the front that is perfect size for 1/8 NPT sensor. That is where I have the gauge sender
Old September 16th, 2017, 13:44
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMedic View Post
pretty sure the newer model housing will work with the correct adapter for the sensor. I did that on my 88. threaded adapter from Lowes, Home Depot etc
I believe thet are talking about an additional spot for a sensor.
Otherise I would have mentioned that.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.