• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reviving the dead...

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sorry to rehash this one from yesterday. I hoping the combined experience here will help me take the best course of action (ie; try this first, then this, then this...etc)

1989 4.0L
Car had not been run for 2+ years but WAS running before it was put out to pasture after my father in law passed. It was his. Now I'm obsessed with making the old XJ right again. I need another 4X since winter's coming and we're a mile from the paved road. The wife and kids use the Ram to get to school etc so this will be a semi daily driver til the rainy season stops.

Problem:
VERY hard to start. I have to keep feathering the accel to keep it running at all. After a few starts it'll rev up then idle nice and smoothl for about 10-20secs, then violently starts chugging, then backfiring, then gives up the ghost. It will not stay running no mater what I do with the throttle.

It also SEEMS to get hot quickly according to the aftermarket temp gauge. After about 5-10 mins of running off and on the temp gauge is peggged.

So far I have done the following:
New Battery
Added 1 Can BG44K (per the OldMan) easy to get around here..
New Fuel Filter
New Gas (10 gals added to about 3 gals of old...I should have drained...)
New Cap/Rotor (I just pulled off the old and popped on the new, the rotor was in really bad shape)
New Plugs (the old ones were badly fouled)

The plugs helped a bit but not much..

I am picking up an EGR valve today...if that doesn't help, what next?

Thanks in advance...
Mark

I've had an ignition coil fail because it became exposed to moisture and dirt, you may want to check that, the symptoms were similar. Is it possible that the trashed fuel has clogged the filter (again), fouled pump and injectors. Ther berrymans chemical should take care of the injectors but needs time to work, it almost sounds like a fuel flow problem, unless one of the sensors is like map that regulates fuel is bad. Would you be able to pressure test it? Also was it stored outside in last winter's really heavy wet season?

Would you be able to pressure test it? Also was it stored outside in last winter's really heavy wet season?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to have to learn how to pressue test...
I did pull the cap off the valve on the rail and pressed on the valve with my thumb. First air, then fuel came out. Then I tried it while it was running and fuel came out under pressure.

It was outside all winter (two winters, if you can call it that in CA)...

I thought about the coil too. I'm trying to figure out each step in order of cost/effectiveness/likelyhood!

Thanks.

Other than the backfireing the symptoms sound simular to mine. Are you sure you are running on new gas? I know you said the other day you added gas to the tank, but didn't drain it. My XJ as been off the road and in restoration for the last number of years, and a few months ago, around febuary or march, I had the same symptoms (other than backfireing), first I added gasline antifreeze, which helped aa bit, but I wanted to get the old gas out. I relived the fuel system pressure at the fuel rail (you'll see a little thing that looks like a tire valve stem, it should have a cap on it, press it to relive the pressure, gas will come out of it atfirst), and then decided to remove the fuel line at the filter and cycle the pump and drain as much gas out of the tank as possible. The gas smelled like turpintine and was almost a brown color. It had been in the truck for about 2-3 years. Before this I was afraid my engine was shot, it was stalling and wouldn't idle smooth. With new gas it was almost like a new engine. The RPMs would stay at idle and she wouldn't stall any more. I hope this helps. Good luck with the XJ.

Bandit...

I may do that. I was lazy and just added 10 gallons of fresh to the 3-5 gals that were in the tank already...looks like I may be dumping $28.00 of gas tonight...

MC

Change the fuel filter.

Check the exhaust to be certain mice didn't set up camp. Many years ago I had an old pickup parked outside. I sold it unexpectedly to a guy who was visiting a relative and happened to hear about it. We dragged it out of the woods, put a battery in, and it fired right up ... for about ten or fifteen seconds, then it would sound "lazy" and die. Kept on doing this, time after time.

I finally got mad, and as soon as it started I floored it.

POW!

It shot a mass of flaming mouse nest about 30 yards across the field. After that, it purred like a kitten. The buyer drove it from CT to FL. Only problem he had was a $5 generator bushing had to be replaced.

BruteXJ said:
I would pay $20.00 to see a flaming mouse nest shoot 30 yards across a field.

:roflmao:
Me too Me too.
scouse_cat.gif

OK..I got it to start and sorta run...

It's got a new O2 sensor, new plugs, cap/rotor, air filter, oil&filter, new fuel pump & filter, all vac lines good, EGR appears functional (I have a new one to put on but have not yet). New gas w/a can of BG44K. Cleaned the Throttle Body...

It till runs a little rough and somethimes under load it starts to miss.
Yesterday, while letting it idle, I decided to check the lights. As soon as I turned on the headlights...it almost died. It stumbled and chugged and I have to give it gas to keep it running. Bad coil?

Thanks

Biernuts said:
OK..I got it to start and sorta run...

It's got a new O2 sensor, new plugs, cap/rotor, air filter, oil&filter, new fuel pump & filter, all vac lines good, EGR appears functional (I have a new one to put on but have not yet). New gas w/a can of BG44K. Cleaned the Throttle Body...

It till runs a little rough and somethimes under load it starts to miss.
Yesterday, while letting it idle, I decided to check the lights. As soon as I turned on the headlights...it almost died. It stumbled and chugged and I have to give it gas to keep it running. Bad coil?

Thanks
No, bad ground’s or dirty battery terminals. Clean the battery posts until they shine, you can't see the corrosion because it dark gray just like the lead.

langer1 said:
No, bad ground’s or dirty battery terminals. Clean the battery posts until they shine, you can't see the corrosion because it dark gray just like the lead.

It's a brand new battery so the posts are good....Maybe new battery cables are in order?

I thought that maybe the headlight issue has something to do with the engine stumbling under load, like it's not getting enough spark...

It idles OK but if it gun it, it hesitates and stumbles. It's got good fuel presssue...

Check grounds, and don't forget the braided strap that runs from the valve cover to the firewall. That one can look good even when it's turned to powder. Also, if you haven't yet, you need to get in there and clean up every connector you can find. Get a can of non-flashing contact cleaner (TV tuner cleaner works if you can't find the industrial stuff), unplug every plug there is, spray it, then replug and unplug a few times. Look for a big connector down near the bulkhead beneath the airbox, which is for the front wiring harness. This is a favorite spot for corrosion, which will cause front lighting woes.

mrbill3 said:
Have you checked the alternator output yet? If it is low you will not get full power to the coil and then get week spark, no pwer, etc...

Well....this may be the culprit. I've been replacing parts every weekend on this XJ...

The serpentine belt (which was OLD & cracked) was going to be this weekend.

Well, I also noticed last night, when I revved the engine up, the belt would oscillate between pulleys! It apparently did not have the correct tension.
Anyway, I noticed this about a minute before it gave up the ghost and broke...as I was reving the enging at the throttle body..
It was pretty old and cracked.

My guess now is the belt was slipping on the alternator....wouldn't that cause the lighting issue as well as a spark issue at higher rpm's (causing the missing?)?

Yes it would. When you turn on the lights the increased load can cause the engine to die. Also the slipping belt will limit the output to the coil and can cause the other symptoms.

Back