• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Renix Muffler noise?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Is this sound a blocked Cat, loose baffle in the Muffler (exhaust system problem) or does the engine need a tune up? I'm about 50:50 on tune up versus muffler baffle. I am doing this long distance for my daughter. I already told her to check plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and to send me this video...and to find a muffler shop for a free check. Just looking for tuned ear opinions on what it sounds like to others. My daughter both this jeep a few months ago up in Colorado, runs great, DD. I plan to have her get a friend to check it at 2500 rpm, but it takes two people.

Thanks

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?...1c6kvBzu0ltWfFKFA&f=IMG_0688.MOV&sz=179530425

When I bought my truck 10 yrs ago, the cat sounded like it was full of bb's, a distinct rattle. especially going around a corner at low speed (35 or so), or in a parking lot slow when I revved the engine. When I took the cat off there were "ceramic" chunks falling out.

Looks like a broken exhaust pipe to me...

Looks like a broken exhaust pipe to me...

Looks like as in Visually? or sounds like? I was thinking a loose baffle plate inside the muffler. Thanks!!!

I have had busted up guts in a Cat before, it was obvious as it had no power. The other bad Cat was so blocked with silicates from prior coolant head gasket leaks it back up the exhaust enough to throw a cyl 1 misfire code on the Ford. The other one was a no guts no power Ford van in the 70s that the Muffler baffles had come loose inside and were blocking the exhaust.

before I found the #3 and #4 plug wires crisscrossed a week ago on my own renix (not may daughters in the video here), mine sounded a lot like this, but it would miss from Idle when first giving it gas.

Her only problem so far has been that it tries to stall on a left turn if she lets the gas tank get down to 1/4 tank, which I think is gauge ....sensor...wiring connector issue reading a 1/4 tank when it is nearly empty. She just fills at a 1/2 tank now.

You heard the noise at the Muffler???

When I bought my truck 10 yrs ago, the cat sounded like it was full of bb's, a distinct rattle. especially going around a corner at low speed (35 or so), or in a parking lot slow when I revved the engine. When I took the cat off there were "ceramic" chunks falling out.

Looks like as in Visually? or sounds like? I was thinking a loose baffle plate inside the muffler. Thanks!!!
Just aft of the muffler, past the clamp, looks like a huge exhaust leak, and yeah, sounds like one too.

Have your daughter sign up and introduce herself in the Colorado Chapter. There are a lot of reliable members in Colorado Springs who could give it a look.

attachment.php

exhaust leak.JPG

Last edited:
Been trying to get her to track some of you down, and log in here, etc. She has the contact info for about 3 of you. She may be afraid she will get too wrapped up ogling over all the cool rides and rigs here, when she is busy starting back to school and working and running her Photo business. She wants to drive a monster truck in a monster truck rally some day, LOL. She is not the shy quiet type, LOL. But with our LD help so far she has managed to solve the problems that she has run into so far. She did her first Fan clutch replacement a week ago :) Obi-wan taught here well, LOL, but she is still just a Padawan. :)

I just listened to the Video again, and took a closer look, it sounds like the muffler to me, but I agree it could be an exhaust leak there, or both. Any one know a good muffler shop in Co. Springs?

Thanks Hypoid.

Just aft of the muffler, past the clamp, looks like a huge exhaust leak, and yeah, sounds like one too.

Have your daughter sign up and introduce herself in the Colorado Chapter. There are a lot of reliable members in Colorado Springs who could give it a look.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I believe people will tell you go to go first to Bud's on Circle and second to Muffler Masters on Austin Bluffs.

Ask in the Colorado Chapter.

Last edited:
Thanks!!!

I believe people will tell you go to go first to Bud's on Circle and second to Muffler Masters on Austin Bluffs.

Ask in the Colorado Chapter.

You nailed it sir, thanks. She crawled under there and the pipe is 100% loose at the muffler.

attachment.php

Back