• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ 4.0L Maneul wont stay running

So went to autozone and got a new fuel pump
She's running now... however it was extremely tight getting it in and assuming fuel float is pinched as my fuel gauge is no longer working...
Also she seems to hesitate and stumble when running, with a lot of white smoke puffing from exhaust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ab6df0e01672e00792d43942b481ec15.jpg
52d1a093e5ba9d55050774e3b5ff3fbb.jpg

It's usuly right because of dirt around the new seal. The float issue can be anything from a missing ground to no voltage for the sender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I drove my 86 from Moline, IL to mid MO 20 yrs ago...fuel pump was bad.
Could only go 50 mph the whole trip.
Then, when I had to do some tranny work....when I put back in the drivetrain...it ran like kaka.
A fuel line had been clogged by a mud dobber.
Then, when I finally parked it....the relay had gone bad.
So....eliminate the variables. Fuel pump, regulator, filter, relay, lines.
Next...water in the tank???
Is it ignition related???
Sorry...can't pinpoint it from a computer terminal.
Good luck...and will keep reading post and trying to brainstorm for you.
Mac

I got an oem fuel pump but when I installed it it seamed like it was to long, I could feel it hitting the tank, that's why it was tight to put in...not sure why it would be to long if it's oem

The float on the new on is about 1 in longer then the old one, tho king it's getting caught on something tank internal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well some Cherokee have different size tanks, 13? And 20. Maybe that is a difference

My problem was there is little baffles in the oem tank to try to position the sender float , & pick up sock just right so it lines up.
Always a hassle every time I pull a pump. Other people seem to manage it better than I do, or they have a better trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem was there is little baffles in the oem tank to try to position the sender float , & pick up sock just right so it lines up.
Always a hassle every time I pull a pump. Other people seem to manage it better than I do, or they have a better trick
Yup, there is a rubber damper that fits on the end of the return line. It fits in to a bracket in the slosh well, in the bottom of the tank. It is pretty common for that damper to get stuck in the bracket when you pull the pickup assembly.

Put the damper back on the end of the return line before trying to reinstall.

Back