• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease, grease, and grease again!!!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Well after this years refresh on my 2k(bought new), after 17yrs I have found no worn parts other than items that are non-serviceable. I grease everything before every run and afterwards if there is any high-water involved. All my tre's and ball joints showed no signs off wear(at all) and same for the driveshafts and my RE Super-flex joints (I adjust them every once in a while). The only worn parts were rubber bushings and my steering box.
I'll add that it's 5.5" lift and driven hard, I've been thru 6 sets of tires!

Last edited:
Noone likes a braggart. ;P

Great job!

I agree, I've never greased my ball joint(lower), and they're starting to wear out. However, I have SHATTERED 4 wheel bearings, on 35s and 3.5" lift, and I haven't even touched dirt on the second set. Maybe timken should make their wheel bearings greaseable...

I agree, I've never greased my ball joint(lower), and they're starting to wear out. However, I have SHATTERED 4 wheel bearings, on 35s and 3.5" lift, and I haven't even touched dirt on the second set. Maybe timken should make their wheel bearings greaseable...

35's on those tiny unit bearings are the problem. too much heat generated from the weight/forces a 35 brings

35s on 3.5" lift? I need to see this vehicle. I'm assuming you cut the heck out of the fenders?

Really I haven't done a crazy amount of cutting, just proper bumpstopping.
Here's a pic!
Next to my buddie's 4Runner, also on 35s for a size comparison lol

Vbc9VRMl.jpg

1UngtFEl.jpg

~25 zerks on my setup now, grease them all every oil change

ball joints = 4
front RCV shafts = 2
tie rod ends = 2
drag link ends = 2
trackbar frame end = 1
control arm joints = 4
swaybar links = 2