NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 13th, 2017, 21:37
NAXJA# 2091

Re: RENIX heater core flush ... assistance required.

Actually the Renix Radiator inlet and outlet are two different sizes as well. 1.25" inlet, 1.5" outlet. But I am inclined to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Not sure I buy the fluid dynamics explanation. You don't see that on the radiator or most commercial heat exchangers. I always assumed the size difference was to ensure supply and return didn't get mixed up, which would cause air to get trapped in the core. Fill from the bottom so air gets pushed out the top.

I think he meant you might damage the tube while struggling to force the undersized hose on it.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Forcing the wrong size hose on an old weak, thin wall copper tube may damage the tube.
This point is now clear to me. Other posts have mentioned as well. I have put a lot of force on that top outlet trying to remove that hose that will stop immediately going forth.

Researching the eBay/Amazon links you provided earlier was very helpful. Comparing with RockAuto yields that they come out as a better source for me here in Canada. Your shipping in the USA for the eBay items is $4, whereas my cost is $20. RockAuto also has a clearance price on the "bastard" hose at only $4/piece.

Therefore, I am going to place my order with RockAuto for the heater hoses. Listed below are the items required. To clarify, this is just for the short hoses coming directly off the heater core. All other existing heater hoses will be reused. For future reference, the item part numbers are as follows;

Top (outlet) hose; 17116.65, Continental 63145
Bottom (inlet) hose; 17116.63, Gates 28466
Old August 14th, 2017, 16:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Good Heat is over rated in south Texas LOL.
Unfortunately, I only need it for 8 months of the year.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 12:11
NAXJA Forum User

Hoses arrived from RockAuto yesterday. Quick delivery into Canada, no doubt quicker for USA. $9 shipping much better than others as well. Hard to see in the photo, but the "bastard" hose has a ID of 15mm on one end and 12mm on the other. Let the flushing begin!

Old August 24th, 2017, 17:27
NAXJA Member

The Renix closed system if properly maintained is supposedly a great system...but I've always found it to be problematic. Between the odd hose setup and the pressure bottle and/or the pressure bottle cap usually being a piece of crap. I have converted both of my Renix rigs to the open cooling systems with 97+ hoses and a new radiator and no heater valve. I have had no significant issues caused by this conversion and mostly all positives. It's a fairly simple conversion, but it does cost around $200 (including the radiator and hoses and a radiator cap) for parts and an afternoon for a shade tree mechanic.
Old August 24th, 2017, 19:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseXJ View Post
The Renix closed system if properly maintained is supposedly a great system...but I've always found it to be problematic. Between the odd hose setup and the pressure bottle and/or the pressure bottle cap usually being a piece of crap. I have converted both of my Renix rigs to the open cooling systems with 97+ hoses and a new radiator and no heater valve. I have had no significant issues caused by this conversion and mostly all positives. It's a fairly simple conversion, but it does cost around $200 (including the radiator and hoses and a radiator cap) for parts and an afternoon for a shade tree mechanic.

Same here. I'm of the opinion that if you need to replace the radiator, you're best off converting and getting rid of the fail-prone pressure bottle and heater valve. There are a few staunch supported of the closed system, but they tend to be the guys that spent a some effort getting it reliable and replace the bottle every few years.
Old August 24th, 2017, 21:11
NAXJA Forum User

If you "converters" had one of these installed, you probably would have stayed the course;

Old August 29th, 2017, 06:20
NAXJA Forum User

i need me one of those.
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:40
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNNN View Post
If you "converters" had one of these installed, you probably would have stayed the course;

Im still using plastic bottles, i used the volvo bottle cap, and install a brass 3/8" pipe nipple in the bottom plastic nipple. Im getting a good 8 years out them, but one needs to fix any other real overheating issues first.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old September 8th, 2017, 17:15
NAXJA Forum User

Success! The fantastic heat is back and ready for Canada. As a shade tree mechanic, it took me some time to get those old hoses off and the new ones on. The new top hose had slightly smaller inner dimensions on both ends and had me concerned but I was able to get it installed. The lower hose was a closer fit to the original.

There was noticeable dark matter that flushed out. I measured around 100*F prior to the flush and around 140*F after a few minutes of run time.

Old September 15th, 2017, 18:03
NAXJA Forum User

Oh Crap! Went to check the heater output and ... nothin!! Looks like the HCV is acting up now. Hot coolant in, cold on the other side. Vacuum line hooked up and seems to be operational. I just visited the JY last week and someone got to the HCV before I got there. Went though my parts boxes of stuff I collect every-time I visit the JY and found this ... I hope it works. Whew!

Old September 16th, 2017, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, those things are prone to failure, especially the plastic ones that crumble when you look at them funny. Jeep and most other car makers got rid of that valve because turning off flow through the heater core for half the year makes them plug up faster. Unless you're in a really hot environment, you'll never notice the difference if you eliminate this valve altogether.