• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: Starter Solenoid (CT)

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have an '89 XJ 4.0L sitting here with a bad starter. The starter motor spins fine, but the solenoid has been damaged. A new solenoid costs nearly as much as a complete starter motor. Does anyone have a used solenoid, possibly off a damaged starter, they'd sell for cheap? I can provide the old solenoid if you need a complete unit to use as a core.

Too bad. I just took a core back Tuesday. I replaced the starter because the brushes were shot. If you do end up replacing the entire starter. I just shopped all the local parts houses and some on the Internet.

I usually buy my electrics from NAPA, due to their reputation and my past experience. The NAPA rebuilt price was $99, unless I wanted a lifetime warrenty, that was $139 IIRC. Most other places I checked were $99. AutoZone was $69 with lifetime warrenty. I cracked the rebuilt unit open and it looked like good quality parts were used.

Good luck, however you end up fixing it.
MoFo

Back