• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks Through The Floor build up

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have decided that i want to run some longer shocks in the rear, and since i moved my axle side mounts up for clearance, it only meant that i could do one thing..... go through the floor...

so i dug in and chopped some holes through where the factory upper mounts are:

P8270920.jpg

then i started working on mounting points for the upper mount:
P8270919.jpg

P8270921.jpg

This is kinda what i came up with so far... any comments and suggestions are welcome

P8270923.jpg

and tacked (not to the jeep yet

P8270922.jpg

and a closeup of the mount

P8270924-1.jpg

like a said any comments suggestions and concerns are more than welcome!

looks nice. i have been thinking about doing the same thing. gets really annoying when you hang up on your shock mount 3 or 4 times in a day of wheeling

looks nice. i have been thinking about doing the same thing. gets really annoying when you hang up on your shock mount 3 or 4 times in a day of wheeling

this is exactly the reasoning.

so my current dilemma is mounting to the unibody... i have mocked up a few ideas, but i am not sure if i like them due to strength factors. my current idea is to use some 1/8 angle to tie it in, since welding 1/4 to the sheet metal could prove challenging. so here is this idea, tacked up.

i am planning to do this anyways, but i am trying to come up with a way to tie it in to the frame rails or something. suggestions? oh and disregard the random old shock, it was just for planning purposes

P8270925.jpg

P8270926.jpg

P8270927.jpg

P8270929.jpg

one thing that i do have going for me is that the stock crossmember runs directly underneath my new crossmember, which would add a good amount of rigiidity and strength over just the thin sheetmetal

here is what it looks like with the schock in there I know it doesnt look like much, but i will have about 5" of uptravel on the shock which translates to more at the wheel

P8270930.jpg

P8270931.jpg

How do you seal that up? Think you will have problems with exhaust fumes inside the xj? looks good otherwise

How do you seal that up? Think you will have problems with exhaust fumes inside the xj? looks good otherwise

I am actually planning to box it around the mount, and have only the head of the bolt exposed on the inside.

here is what I did. I know my shocks are in a totally different location, but you could plate the frame like that and have it come up through the floor tieing into your new shock crossmember.

comancheandrearshocks001.jpg

I like it, i may do that. in the mean time i need to get some more cutoff wheels... i've been doing all my cutting with a 4 1/2 grinder... limited tools is the suck

here is what I did. I know my shocks are in a totally different location, but you could plate the frame like that and have it come up through the floor tieing into your new shock crossmember.

comancheandrearshocks001.jpg

i welded in the angle to the floor using some .024 wire, and the lowest setting my welder can go. it actually came out pretty well, and i didnt have any burn through.

P8270932.jpg

P8270933.jpg

i'm quitting for the night, hopefully i can get it fully boxed and whatnot tomorrow

this morning i set up the templates that i am going to use to box the thing in... hopefully it will be weather and emissions tight

P8280934.jpg

as always, critisism is welcome

It seems you are giving up the use of the cargo floor to a large degree but good work though. :thumbup:

yeah you are right, but i wanted this to be very functional and strong. down the road i want to put in one of those cargo area drawers, and bring the deck up 4" to this level.

progress from today:

got all the sheet cut out and final fit customized, and started burning it in:

P8280935.jpg

P8280937.jpg

one possible issue i have here is i overlooked the bolt head size with a socket on it... it just barely wont make it, so i may have to "customize" the socket and grind some material off of it to make it thinner.

P8280936.jpg

x2 above

looks well done, very clean work.

I just went thru the floors a few weeks ago, haven't taken pics yet. but mounted the shocks on the leaf spring plate, to a hoop on the wheel wells (wells were plated for some strength)

they work awsome.

How about Jeep's solution. (and it seems, their answer to everything,...) A big torx bolt?

one possible issue i have here is i overlooked the bolt head size with a socket on it... it just barely wont make it said:
Do they make Allen Head Bolts in that size? That might cover the clearance issue.

Curtis

How about Jeep's solution. (and it seems, their answer to everything,...) A big torx bolt?

yeah i will definatly take a run to the hardware store and or lowes for a allen... not torx, i hate torx... i dont know if i will be able to find a 5/8 coarse thread allen. i was able to find some online under the guise of 5/8 11 socket cap screw. i am hoping to not have to order them.... cause i dont want to wait :passgas:

Back