• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAD Delete

I'm sure there is a cream or powder or sanitary spray out there for that somewhere! :shhh:

All you really need to do is cut a metal plate the same dimension as the hole left when you pull off the vacuum mechanism, drill the screw holes and lock it on there with a gasket maker. Beware though, you may have issues getting your long shaft to seat into the carrier because the existing inner axle seal will probably not have a "ramp" to guide it in.

Cool thanks ya i was thinking about buying the solid axle shaft and ripping the other one out.. then making the plate and just bolting it right in.. would that work?!?

Cool thanks ya i was thinking about buying the solid axle shaft and ripping the other one out.. then making the plate and just bolting it right in.. would that work?!?

That is all I did to mine. The only issue is because of the original two piece shaft there is no seal to keep the diff fluid from going down the tube to the CAD motor. There are a few places that sell the seal, but I change my diff fluid so often I never worried about it.

The only issue is because of the original two piece shaft there is no seal to keep the diff fluid from going down the tube to the CAD motor.

Agreed. I had a pretty steady leak out the passenger side axle tube, but just keep it topped off and you will be ok. I did take the precaution of pulling the cover and changing the oil anytime I did any wheeling that took me through deep water crossings. Better safe than sorry.

Agreed. I had a pretty steady leak out the passenger side axle tube, but just keep it topped off and you will be ok. I did take the precaution of pulling the cover and changing the oil anytime I did any wheeling that took me through deep water crossings. Better safe than sorry.

O I forgot to mention I installed Alloy USA Tube seals when I did the conversion to keep the water/mud out of the tube, and to keep the diff fluid inside the tube.

i did this to my 88 and swapped in new shafts/bigger ujoints/USA seals in the process. your supposed to change out an inner seal to prevent leakage but i didnt. it does leak down the long side of the tube though but i dont have a drop coming past the USA seals. i made a plate out of 16g steel got from lowes (i think) and had a roll of gasket material so i made my own gasket. i also threw on some RTV when installing it to assure it wouldnt leak. it hasnt. make sure to clean out the axle tubes!! all that oil rolling back and forth carrying dirt and grime BACK into the diff. i dont think so!

then i took the vaccum lines and used heat sealing tubing and sealed them off. after that i just pushed them up out of the way. i bought 97 shafts from the JY and spicer joints offline as well as the USA seals. this swap is easy as hell and well worth it IMO.

I'm looking at doing this but might just lock the collar over for the time being instead of changing the axle.

In this case, it's easy. No parts required. Remove the c-clip from the vac motor shaft, slide the fork over, and reinstall the c-clip. Slide the shift collar over so the two piece axle is now one. I think CherokeeForum has a write-up in their technical forum, but it's really evident what needs to be done once you remove the shift motor assembly.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but im looking to do this myself just javing some problems findiny the seal. Rustys has a kit for 18 and then another 30 for shipping. Ill make my own plate i just need to know what seal to get. Basically i pulled a 86 cad axle with 4.10 gears, gonna pull a 95+ inner axle shafts and want to know if stock non cad seals will work in the cad axle?

You'll need to do some machining of the passenger side inside the pumpkin. If you're not comfortable pulling the carrier and doing that, I would just run the cad selector ring fixed to the drivers side and go with it.

Thanks dan, ended up getting an itchy mouse finger and ordered the rustys kit before reading your reply. Hopefully it will work out. I highly doubt i would break a shaft on 32s especially doing what i do but still just in case it would be nice just to pull the shaft and slap in a new one on the trail which is another reason for wanting to get rid of that double axle thing. Just one less thing to worry about hopefully.

Back