• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

automatic trans question

hadAjeep

NAXJA Forum User
will these jeeps with an automatic trans idle up hill in 4 low? The only experince I've had with an auto is in my charger and it won't idle up a steep incline, just sits there and slips. Stupid question but I need to know

Nope.

Torque converter isn't locked in low gear at idle. It'll slip just like any other vehicle.

Well that freakin sucks. Does it roll backwards then? Only reason I ask is because the automatics are everywhere and 5 spds aren't. I'm looking to buy an XJ and don't really want an auto. Now I want one even less

hadAjeep said:
Well that freakin sucks. Does it roll backwards then? Only reason I ask is because the automatics are everywhere and 5 spds aren't. I'm looking to buy an XJ and don't really want an auto. Now I want one even less

Depends. My 2wd XJ will just sit there on a slope with the tranny in drive and not giving it any gas. My van will roll on back on ya.

Sarge

I'm not saying I can't give it throttle. I'm just used to 5spd where when I put it in gear, it moves. I've just never wheeled in an auto before.

Saw a guy the other day had a switch, spring loaded up (momentary lock), normal tip down (stayed locked) normal drive in the middle, under his T shifter, could lock his converter at will, in any gear. Pretty easy to do, but really don´t know how it will affect the AW4, over time.
You´ll find out it has it´s pluses and minus, not having to clutch and shift in deep mud or sand helps on occasion. Not to mention being able to keep both hands on the wheel much more. Though I do miss the compression braking on occasion, with a standard automatic.
I spend most of my off road time, on muddy trails, manaul shift, hurts more than helps.

What about manual valve bodies for the AW4? I've got one on my duster and it enables compression braking in any gear. I don't hate auto's, just not sure if they're what I want for wheeling. But since alot of you guys seem to like them, maybe it'll be ok.

hadAjeep said:
will these jeeps with an automatic trans idle up hill in 4 low? The only experince I've had with an auto is in my charger and it won't idle up a steep incline, just sits there and slips. Stupid question but I need to know

Actually, even in 2H on all but the steepest hill I could take my foot off the brakes and the XJ would not roll backwards unlike some other American made vehicles I have driven.
I am not sure of the answer you are expecting. My theory is simply keep your foot on the brakes; use one foot on the brakes and one on the gas (I do not think this is a very good practice) or increase the gas a little until the XJ holds on the hill.
My $0.02

Are there any major changes to the AW4 over the years? Right now I'm going look at a 96 cherokee auto. 92,000 miles and the ad says mostly used for commuting.

Yea it does depend on the hill. I should have been more clear it will climb up a moderate hill, but it won't just crawal up the side of a mountain as you may expect, however it won't really roll backwards as much as other vehicles either.

Back