• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!!! Please Read!!

mdoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of working in the front of my XJ, I was putting the trackbar back up,and some how crossthreaded the bolt and hidden nut that holds the trackbar in on the axle side.. the dealer says that the captive nut in the "L" shaped bracket isn't available locally,and that the bolt "isn't a serviced item" meaning, get it from a hardwarestore ... can ANYONE help me out?? local would be great (northeast of Baltimore) but I will pay for Priorority shipping if someone has it,, right now my only transportaion is sitting in the driveway with a danglin trackbar and no way to move it.please..help!!!!

thanks in advance...

If you know someone with a welder, you could have a short tab welded onto a nut so that it acts like the OEM piece. IMHO If you go this route, use grade 8 hdwre.

I broke the bolt on mine a while ago. I replaced it with a 7/16" grade 8 bolt and nut. I don't remember the length. I think I had to jam a screwdriver in there to keep it from spinning when I tightened it. I agree, if you have access to a welder, it would be much easier if you could weld a tab on the nut similar to the stock setup..

you can wiggle a wrench in from the side with a the nut taped to the wrench, make sure you use the open end or you might trap you wrench inside and have to take it apart again to recover your wrench...dont ask...look you'll see. I had to do it when I was on vacation one time, in a parking lot in new mexico, I think. Its a 10mm bolt, it think , not sure of the length.

mdoffroad said:
In the process of working in the front of my XJ, I was putting the trackbar back up,and some how crossthreaded the bolt and hidden nut that holds the trackbar in on the axle side.. the dealer says that the captive nut in the "L" shaped bracket isn't available locally,and that the bolt "isn't a serviced item" meaning, get it from a hardwarestore ... can ANYONE help me out?? local would be great (northeast of Baltimore) but I will pay for Priorority shipping if someone has it,, right now my only transportaion is sitting in the driveway with a danglin trackbar and no way to move it.please..help!!!!

thanks in advance...

Your dealer is a jerk.

The nut tab has been discontinued. The factory now sells the same bolt and nut as used for the upper control arms for the track bar frame bracket. Any dealer should be able to get that for you, or have it in stock.

Re: Re: Help!!!! Please Read!!

Eagle said:
Your dealer is a jerk.

The nut tab has been discontinued. The factory now sells the same bolt and nut as used for the upper control arms for the track bar frame bracket. Any dealer should be able to get that for you, or have it in stock.

Yeah, and those are Torx head bolts! I've twisted every Torx head bit I have ever picked up trying to get close to factory spec'ed torque and just can't do it. I went to a junkyard to get an original hex head bolt and bracket assembly.

Back