• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" REs with RE2705 shackles too much?

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
Got some lightly used 5.5 RE1461s I assumed it would be 5.5" of lift but I guess it'll be more with the shackles? Wanted to go 5.5-6" but am now confused as to what coils to get. With the 5.5" coils am I gonna want to pull a leaf or 2? I heard the 1461s are hella rough so many it would help?

I just installed the RE1461s on mine and it's sitting at 7.5" measured. WAY more than I wanted.
I've heard they settle so I'm hoping that's the case.

So I've heard removing leafs may help? I don't wanna have to experiment, I wanna install these and be done. I guess I can try resell these and just get some 3.5s instead

RE springs are rated for armor, if you don't have tire carrier on the ass end you will get a lot more lift from them

I've got an aftermarket front and rear bumper with swing-out and 33x12.5 hanging on it, rocker rails, hi-lift, gas tank skid, and full length roof rack.
Hindsight I should've bought the 4.5 leafs but I'm just making all of the mods needed for the amount of lift I have now.
I also plan on building different bumpers and adding storage to the cargo area, so it should all work out.

I've got an aftermarket front and rear bumper with swing-out and 33x12.5 hanging on it, rocker rails, hi-lift, gas tank skid, and full length roof rack.
Hindsight I should've bought the 4.5 leafs but I'm just making all of the mods needed for the amount of lift I have now.
I also plan on building different bumpers and adding storage to the cargo area, so it should all work out.

Edit: So I should go 4.5 leafs (boomerangs) and 5.5 coils I guess, planning on going 35's with trimming

Last edited:
Well I plan on running 35s with as much trimming as needed should I stay 5.5 or go 4.5? Not planning on carrying too much extra weight

I can't comment on that because I never planned on going bigger than 33's. But with all the extra lift, 35's might be in my future when I need tires.

Do you know the person you bought the springs from? Any chance they had actual measurements?

I can't comment on that because I never planned on going bigger than 33's. But with all the extra lift, 35's might be in my future when I need tires.

Do you know the person you bought the springs from? Any chance they had actual measurements?

Yeah he said he was at 6+" , I pulled the trigger a little soon on these, no biggie

After you wheel with them they will settle, and eventually sag. Lol. All my RE leafs have ended up sagging after. Couple years. My 3.5” leafs are maybe good for 2” now

This is a RE 3.5" pack with a 1" BDS shackle, Currie 5.5" coils and 35" MTR's. The rear is just ever so slightly higher than the front. Stock rear bumper with full size spare in the cargo area. I believe the packs are about a year old.

20171124180700-64704792-xl.jpg

I'm gonna get the 5.5 coils for the front and pull 2 leafs out the 5.5 pack and see what happens.

Back