• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 DIY build. And first post from idaho

Evan03

NAXJA Forum User
I've been eying this forum for a few years just registers. Never really was a xj fan not sure I am still. Fell in to thus xj for pennies so I guess I'm building it and it's handy taking the hole family out.
It had 3" lift and ugly wheels with when we got it. Looking at 34x10.5 or 33x13.5 LTB's
I've built bumpers and done frame plating. Next upgrades are steering and suspension or Napier flat flares to hopefully clear 34x10.5 rubber.

I'll post more pictures later. 1/4 folded rear

My son Bryce helped build rear bumper

Thanks John X

When I did front bumper I didn't have a bender or winch so it's not like rear. I want to redo it and build around the winch but I to work for now

I have made a few pulls and don't notice any flexing but it's defiantly not the ideal setup.

The rear is more how I want to build the front. I built off the hitch that was on the jeep. I thought about starting fresh big figured I'd leave it since the fuel tank hangs low.
Thinking about building a tank skid plate

Welding with 035 fluxcore hobart 180

Will fill taillight gaps sometime but isn't critical

Many people think flux doesn't weld very good but for me it does and is very versatile for outside welding I run a 211 at work and this 180 will eat up. Both are good welders I someday want get 215 or 225 Miller but these small 220 welders do most everything I need to do.

My wife took this photo she's like doesn't that burn your hands. Sometimes I say. Lol

A few things burned with hobart 180 on flux cored wire

My old k5

Bryce when he was small

The k5 now

Back on topic
Here's the rear cut and fold been talking to dough at Napier and we've decided the flat flares 97-01 Will probly work for me on t he 89.
I don't plan to be more than 4"s of lift with 33-35s i have neen gathering stuff to do a 3 link or radious arms if i decide 3 link is to tuff to fit. Will do a over the knuckle steering and panhard bar at the same time.

That's it for now

Digging the rear bumper. Welds look good. When it comes to flux core there is definitely a difference between the $20 spool and the $40 spool, learned that one. I had 34x10.5 LTBs way back and loved the look and how they were on the dirt.

Going along with built not bought theme and I'm broke as shit theme.

Welded the rear dana 35. Started by fill g on teeth filled teeth in unroll I had about a 1/8" of play then decided I'd weld spiders to case case so center pin won't be weak point. Took me two days of run an inch or so then let it cool.
This is the second axle I've welded. I did a rear 10bolt on my k5 when it was still a k5 ran that axle with 35" boggers for 4 ish year it was 99% trail rig like this xj. Off road deliverability is amazing with bith tires being driven all the time.
Lockers in my my option or spools or welding us one of the best mods a stock jeep turning 3 tires can out wheel a jeep with knobby tires on 35s with open diffs.

She's full of fluid wanting to be driven but it's summer time her in Idaho so no real reason to drive her much till hunting season

I may Get a set of Napier flat flares on on and either 33x13.5 or 34x10.5 ltb by hunting season. Im torn on wich size.

Steering over the knuckle and panhard bar may happen by then to

Just ran across these 15x8 wheels for 60 bucks. I run these wheels. I like how they look i despise how the aluminum ones look that someone before me put on this jeep.
I'm thinking about building sliders and ting tube fenders into them to clear 34x10.5 ltb,s that will go on these wheels.

Ran the rear welded. Not horrible on the street and was amazing off road. It's not recommended to weld a c clip axle but I did anyways. My c clip 10 bolt held up just fine with 35" boggers so I figure this dana 35 should hold up just fine to. Especially since I don't abuse my rigs.

I'm in mtn home. Will hit you up if I'm in area.

Started think I wanted to have a place to bolt the too side of the fairlead. Can't decide if I burn this in or scrap this idea

With that plate just taced on I would drive it around to see if it over heats.You are blocking a lot of the front grill

Nice build and welcome to the madness

Got mastercraft course mts 33x12.5.
Now Got a make them fit.

I think I'm going to build tube fenders tied into my 1/4 fold rear bumper my front bumper and tie a rock slider to them.

There's baddass tube clamps on the market now that I may use.

Photo is from my thinking chair.

Hmmmm

My some woke up so cutting fenders ground to a halt

Tires are 33x12.5x15 master craft courses let's on a 3.5 or 3.75 back spaced 15x8 wheel.

The wife's like wtf did you do.

Last edited:
Crystal is driving I'm watching rear clear about perfect fronts rubbing at full lock

I'm impressed rear is welded there was no line on I took on dirt pile that wouldn't crawl over

Back