• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seafoam.

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i finally found some seafoam. it was always sold out at az. so i added it to my tb and started it. it smoked for awhile. then did it again. still smoked. will it ever stop smoking. my neighbor thought my house was on fire.

its a gas oil and throttle body additive and it cleans carbon build up and such. its not until recently that i heard of it too.

Sweet. I used a can of of Conklin 4 power bout a year ago cleaned the crap out of my stuff. It ran like crap for the better half of 200 miles but now I get. Better milage better power, no crappy idleing.. But this is besides the point. I hope the seafoam works out. Seems strange that it would produce so much smoke. Good luck.

how did you add it to the TB?
run it till it stops smoking, the smoke is all the carbon leaving.

I poured it through the TB at idle. Just as it would get close to sputtering all the way out I'd back off and let it regain idle. Did this a few times then let it sit for about 15 minutes, started it up and watched the HUGE cloud of smoke, but I did it after-hours at work so it never bothered anyone.

I also poured about a 1/2 can in the crankcase and 1/2 can in the gas. Now the loudest thing on the engine is the injectors clicking. My father in law just tried it in his crankcase and gas tank and within 50 miles it took care of his stuck lifter.

That said, I've also tried BG 44k in the tank and I like it even better but it's about 4x the cost.

i might go and get another can tomorrow. and add half to the oil. i really try not to add any thing to the gas i just replaced the fuel injectors.

For those of you who haven't done the seafoam thing before.

You can put half a can in your gas tank then the other half down the TB or through the vacuum line from the brake booster to the intake manifold (disco the brake booster side of course, lol).

Seafoam isn't an oil additive. It cleans out carbon deposits and oil grime. So you don't want to put it in your oil unless you are going to change it directly after you run it in there for a day or two IF THAT.

You are supposed to add it to the engine (through TB or brake booster vacuum line) in small ammounts until you're almost to the end of the can. Then just dump the rest in so that it stalls out the engine. From there let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then start it up and go take it for a drive (spirited is good :p ) It'll smoke like none other, but then the smoke will finally stop after the deposits are burned off.

Please note that doing this may foul oxygen sensors. All that burned off grime is going out through the exhaust, so you might wanna take the o2 sensors out of the exhaust bungs when you do the sea foam.

My question ahs always been what happens to the poor cadillac converter when the sea-foam hits it?

on the little paper thingy it states it will take odors out of the cat. and its catalytic converter.
also the jeeps got 220000 miles and not going to get any better. will just through the can in there until the oil gets dirty. i have a synthetic blend in there now. and it is still the same color it was when i put it in there. ill change the filter after 1000 miles tho.

Same thing as the o2 sensors more or less. That stuff has to go out and it only has one way to go out, so all of the stuff is going to get it.

The cat is probably pretty durable when it comes to that stuff though. I've never had a problem with the cats on any car i've had and I've ran sea foam through them all on a semi-normal basis.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if ANYTHING i'd just remove the o2 sensors from the exhaust bungs while you do this.

But half the time I don't even do that when I do the sea foam on my Jeep.

I did the Seafoam soon after I got my Jeep, and the PO had ignored the CCV problem for some time, so the entire intake was covered and the cat was quite plugged. After seafoam I had MUCH better throttle response and I'm quite sure the cat was freed up a little, in addition to a cleaner intake.

seafoam is great stuff, I use it in my truck when the temps get around 0 degrees eventhough you get a winter blend at the pump, that is only good to -5.

Good stuff really old company that started with products to clean 2 cycle marine engines.

seafoamlogos.jpg

Back