• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seafoam in the radiator?

um, i wouldnt....

Prestone and probably a few other companies make a radiator flush specifically for this.

Absolutely NOT! (n)

As JNickel101 mentions, use a product designed for flushing cooling systems. There are a number of them out there but they do vary in strength. How bad is your coolant? Is it brown, rusty, etc? Then you may want a stronger solution. Spend some time reading the back labels on the stuff on the shelves......

I remeber reading once about putting a specific calcium cleaner in the radiator as a flush? The only thing I remeber is TSP? It comes in a green yellow and I believe blue box. It was on one of the forums for radiator flushing? :flame:

Two methods, Prestone 7 hour flush, you're in Florida so you can get away with it if you get a few days where it will NOT freeze down there :D
The second is Vinegar, some here swear by it. Do a search on vinegar flush, I think it's a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, couple of hours then flush and back flush.
I've always used the prestone stuff myself.

Whatever you do, fill it back up with distilled water when you put antifreeze/water back in. Distilled water is only $1/gallon and doesn't have minerals and impurites that can cause rust or brownish goop in the cooling system.

Seafoam is an oil base. As I recall the proportions were something like 50% mineral oil, 30% naptha, and 20% isopropyl alcohol. I don't believe any of those belong in you coolant. You want something that will eat the deposits and not attack the rubber coolant hoses.

I've run vinegar through my old RVs water heater, it really flushes out the calcium build up.

For oil contaminated coolant, Detroit Diesel recommends Calgon. It works. Used that on buses when the trans or the oil heat excahngers would leak into the cooling system.

Back