• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nacfest 2017 General Poll!

Rock2pus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey, folks, thanks for coming out this year! It was a great time with great friends as always, and we appreciate all who made the effort to share it with us!

I would like to ask the attendees some serious questions, and would appreciate serious feedback. (Good AND Bad).

We have made some contacts that allow for a different food vendor for the banquet dinner. It would be more BBQ-style, think brisket, chicken, pulled pork, with potatoes and greens for sides, coming from the onsite restaurant at the campground, FYI. I know a few people ate there this year during their stay and liked it. I just ate there Saturday and yes, very good. Should we consider changing up?

Getting the groups together and out quick in the morning has been a challenge, we all know that. My question is more wide-ranging: what can we as hosts do to make this event better? Please keep in mind that we are keeping an open mind, and this event is for the members and friends of the club. No criticism will be taken personally, we really want to hear everything from our attendees, good and bad! Help us to make this run more enjoyable for everyone!
Rich

I'd be down with the food change, sounds good to me.

As for getting into groups I'd recommend using the registration form to collect info about what people want to run each day and then use that to establish groups before the event. Something like:

Thursday: Select one of: Greens / Blues & Blacks / Blacks & Reds / Reds & Beyond
Friday: Select one of: Greens / Blues & Blacks / Blacks & Reds / Reds & Beyond
Saturday: Select one of: Greens / Blues & Blacks / Blacks & Reds / Reds & Beyond

Then we could bunch folks into groups in advance, tell them who they're wheeling with and designate a trail lead.

I'd also recommend we set a time that EVERYONE should be at Rausch Creek each day, say 30 mins before hitting the trails. For those who have registered in advance have a packet ready for them to pickup at the table.

If we can get a copy of the Rausch Creek membership application that people can fill out in advance that would be good too. And have a copy of the safety checklist available so everyone can come prepared to meet the reqs.

Just a few ideas...

Tim

Membership and parental waiver forms can be downloaded from Rausch's website, maybe we could have a few on hand so folks can fill them out before going up to the office?

We probably have enough information to automate at least parts of the Safety Checklist and NAXJA waiver from the registration info (if not, perhaps we should add it to the registration so it can be automated), perhaps we should look into that to reduce what has to be done by hand on-site?

I like Tim's idea of pre-arranging groups, think we did it a couple times in years gone by. Might be worth trying because getting groups together lately does seem like herding chickens. The event registration page (back when Stroker hosted it) did at one point have something for specifying what trails you wanted to run, maybe it's time to bring that back again and use it for this purpose. As a part of this, perhaps we ask folks arriving in the evening (up to a reasonable hour, of course) to swing by a designated campsite for "processing"?

The reviews on the on-site restaurant by Jordan and Rich sounded positive, I'd be up for giving them a shot.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone, we are listening. Just a head's up we are also looking hard at a run at AOAA in the early fall. I obtained printed trail maps at the York show and it definitely is extensive. Majority of the trails so far look like greens and muddy blues, but I'm sure there is much more planned. I like the fact that proper signage is there, rausch has been slacking in that department, although I wouldn't rule out that some people steal their signs.

We may very well go with the BBQ guy next year, the food is very good and it does simplify things a bit, freeing up resources to make other changes/improvement to the event as a whole. We are deeply grateful to everyone who makes the time and efforts to come together for this. From our point of view, this is not "Our" event. It's YOURS, and our friends deserve the best we can give.
Thank you!

Rich, I have a website and I'd be happy to put together a registration page for next year. Keep me posted on a fall run to AOAA! I'm buying back my old XJ so I'd love to give it a break in run ;-).

Rich, I have a website and I'd be happy to put together a registration page for next year. Keep me posted on a fall run to AOAA! I'm buying back my old XJ so I'd love to give it a break in run ;-).

What is bob going to do.

What is bob going to do.

He's still gonna come along and drive some but mostly on the blues. He likes going wheeling and hanging out but working on the rig is getting tough for him.

Ps. Plus I still need him as a tow rig, haha!

So you'll be able to drive a bit on the trails now, Tim?

We can talk about websites, on-line forums, pre-selected groups etc etc etc but let me point out three things:

1) All the people who complain about hitting the trails 30 minutes late are the same folks who are loaded up in the parking lot by 4PM complaining about being hot, tired, and in serious need of beer. I swear, as soon as the clock hits 3:30PM on the trails, someone on the CB says, "lets go play around on the comp course" and everyone happily agrees. What that really means is, "I'm sick of bouncing around in this hot steel box and want to get the hell out of here before something major breaks."

2) Every person I asked what they want to run responded exactly the same way ... "I don't care, I'll run whatever". If nobody cares what they are running, I'm just gonna create groups based on height and weight. All the short chubby people can run with me, and all the tall thin people can run with Ben. There, done. Groups are set.

3) The gates do open at 8AM, and there are no lines that early. Just say'n.

All joking aside ... if you get to the park by 8:30 and don't dillydally, then you will absolutely be ready by 9:30. I see no reason to alter our current process - it works fine.

For one, I would love to stretch the days on the trail longer, no question about that, I understand where you are coming from. I have been more risk averse than usual because of the dinner, so we have little choice than to bail early on Saturday. That's our charge.. I'm only asking questions based on past feedback. Nothing needs to change, IMHO, but if small tweaks can improve things, I want to hear them

Ok.
1. Yes after bouncing around in a hot box all day, I'm beat and yes I leave early, how ever I'm also one of the first to arrive. Just because I leave doesn't mean ANYONE ELSE HAS TO. Breakage is always a part of this game like it or not.

2. I can't help it I'm beautiful. Rich is tall and skinny as well. :)
2.a. I agree with created groups, just like years ago when Jen organized trails via color, lined everyone up and off they went. So maybe have discussions the night before of " who wants to run what" in terms of blues, greens, blacks, reds, etc. and have signs of colors on sticks and line people up as they arrive.

Final point is this
Park opens at 8 fine, someone needs to PUT THIER BIG BOY FOOT DOWN and set the rule of WE LEAVE AT 9 on the dot, if you arrive at 8:30 there is no reason why you can not be aired down, sway bar'd and in/out of the office and off the trailer in 20 min. If you are not then sorry you can catch up. I understand we're all friends and nice but that is the only way people will get on the trail quickly.

Just my $.02

STROKER

2 cents from longtime members is what needs to be heard here, hence my post, thank you! Next year's schedule should be run more tightly. Point taken!

No one knows now, which happens to be point of discussion. We had a contributing vendor come out this year and make little effort to join a group, let alone meet the group. Strange things came afoot. I will not say any more at this time.

I will bring the megaphone

2 cents from longtime members is what needs to be heard here, hence my post, thank you! Next year's schedule should be run more tightly. Point taken!

From the wife:

Years ago we had the discussion prior to the event on the board about being a trail leader for the four main groups (green, green/blue, blue/black, and oh dear god). There was an incentive for individuals to be a trail leader such as covering registration fees for the event or something along those lines. There was always an abundance of volunteers.

When folks arrived at the park groups were set and rolling by 9:30. I mean everyone! Groups were set as people pulled in based on their rig and preferences. There was a point person who inquired about the rig and what they wanted to wheel. Most people know exactly where their limits are and choose wisely.

There isn't a reason to make this complicated. We all have been wheeling for some time, know each other and where we belong in the park. What we need are set trail leaders so someone can point and make groups.

I won't disagree with Jordan that organizing groups is less a priority than years past since we don't have the size of membership attending as we did back when 75 rigs were to be sorted and sent out.

I was ok with what time it took to get on the trails this year I only suggested the online registration so folks came to the event better informed and prepared to get on the trails.

As for how long a group runs depends on the participants and we could consider asking if folks have a set time they plan to wrap up for the day so those who want to run longer can be with a group with the same initial plans.

Just a few thoughts.

Back