• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow/recovery points to hook your strap to

clayman

NAXJA Forum User
i was reading the post about metal hooks and i read this ...

"Please also make sure your XJ has the proper tow/recovery points to hook your strap to before you take it out and get stuck."

and it reminded me i had a question to ask.

how and where should proper tow/recovery points be added to my jeep?

i have a 2wd and have been stuck a few times in deep sand; and only because i didnt have much of any other choice i was towed out by my bumper. ive been meaning to ask where a good place to be towed out is for a while.

cassio said:
if its a 2wd drive
you can just put the strap on to your front axle
Bad idea.

PROPER tow points would be tow hooks (with appropriate brackets) in the front, and either a tow hook (again, with brackets) in the back or (preferably) a Class 3 receiver hitch.

Eagle said:
Bad idea.

PROPER tow points would be tow hooks (with appropriate brackets) in the front, and either a tow hook (again, with brackets) in the back or (preferably) a Class 3 receiver hitch.

in the front meaning on the bumper? know any companies that make good hooks and brackets? thanks for the help.

standard.jpg

Rusty's at www.rustysoffroad.com makes brackets - I don't have personal experience with them.
I opted for a front receiver from Draw-Tite. Brackets and hooks run about $75, the receiver was about $100. I like the extra flexability of a front hitch (winch mount - someday, pushing a camper into tight places). On my 2000 the reciever sits high and tight beneath the front bumper and clearance has never been a problem - yet.

Just some more options to consider.

Atch said:
Rusty's at www.rustysoffroad.com makes brackets - I don't have personal experience with them.
I opted for a front receiver from Draw-Tite. Brackets and hooks run about $75, the receiver was about $100. I like the extra flexability of a front hitch (winch mount - someday, pushing a camper into tight places). On my 2000 the reciever sits high and tight beneath the front bumper and clearance has never been a problem - yet.

Just some more options to consider.

my suggestion as well... i think it spreads the load out more equally on the unibody... hiddenhitch makes a front reciever too but take the drawtite hitch if at all possible...

sidriptide said:
my suggestion as well... i think it spreads the load out more equally on the unibody...

Hooks also have a tendency (not always, but it is known to happen) to bend or break, usually if a lateral pull is involved. Failures with receivers are less common, but can still happen. As mentioned, though, receivers do have the added flexibility of allowing you to plug a number of useful things into them.

Back