• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery draining

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys.. got a low voltage red top here.. i checked the amps being drawn when she's off. it starts at 0.63 amps then levels at 0.12 amps.. i pulled the I.O.D. 20a fuse and it went to 0amps... i then couldn't use anything inside.. brake lights, radio, hazards.

I went inside w/ the I.O.D. fuse in place and the only fuse pulled to put the amps down is the battery fuse.. not a good sign..

is there a problem in my brake lights, hazards relay, or my radio.. or is my short from the dist block to the fuse block? and how would i go about figuring this out?

Your procedure is sound, start pulling bulbs and checking for corrosion. The only constant draws I can think off off hand are for the radio memory/clock, alarm system if it has one, remote control if it has one.
How worn is the ignition switch ? on my 98 I can remove the key in any position and as long as it's not in the locked position I can turn the ignition, I noticed the other day I just turned it to off and pulled the key out.

i did have problems in the past w/ my tail lights and turn signals not working.. I had to tap into the fuse panel.. and that fixed the problem, yet i untap and no change so i know it's not from there..

Back