• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wind noise from passengerside- weather strip?

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Cherokee 4dr and the passenger side gets very loud when driving at freeway speed. I'm guessing some sort of weather strip problems? I searched and couldn't come up with anything, there are strips for sale for pre 96 XJs but didn't come up with anything for the 98. What can I do? :repair:

Are you confident that the noise is coming from the passenger side window? I had a windshield that wasnt glued in properly, and it had a horrible whistling noise, that appeared it was coming from the passenger side. I had it pulled out by a windshield buddy of mine, had it re-set, problem solved. Just a thought,,,

I also have a 98 4 door and also have a very annoying noise that comes from the passenger side while traveling at a speed.......

It goes away when the wife is not in the Jeep w/me.........:gag:

i do, but its on the driver's side

i remember researching this a while back.....it seems over the years from repeating opening and slamming of the door, the metal of the door surrounding the window gets slightly bent outward causing wind noise

the ghetto fix is to sit in the seat, brace your feet against the main part of the door, and yank on the top of the door

makes some sense at least

Fred85 said:
i do, but its on the driver's side

i remember researching this a while back.....it seems over the years from repeating opening and slamming of the door, the metal of the door surrounding the window gets slightly bent outward causing wind noise

the ghetto fix is to sit in the seat, brace your feet against the main part of the door, and yank on the top of the door

makes some sense at least

that is very sad if this is true.

blackhawk411 said:
that is very sad if this is true.
Sad or not, it's very common and a very easy fix. Ghetto it may be, but I bet that's how the guys at the body shop do it too.

Try putting a piece of paper in the door where you suspect the leak. If it slides right through, it could probably use a little adjustment. Don't overdo. It's easy to bend too far and then the door will bind or close hard. A little goes a long way.

Sad yes, but definitely true. I did the fencepost fix. Open the window, open the door, put fencepost through door, close door (I know it won't close with a fencepost in there) push gently but firmly. You can also adjust the door striker in/out a bit. Just put a box end on there, unloose it a little and adjust as needed.

Alright so this is kind of how it is. I can push on the red part it moves quite a bit.

xj.jpg

I'd try adjusting the hinges first as that's how it's designed to be fixed. Now that I've cautioned you apropriately, lay a 2"x4" on the ground so it rests on the sill plate/ rocker of the door opening. Slowly close the door 'til it hits the 2"x4" and gently push the top rear corner toward the door frame. It should bend slightly without too much effort. Remember that the window still has to move in the upper half and the striker must still hit the latch, so go SLOWLY and keep checking the fitment 'til it's where you need it.

Hammered said:
I have a 97, mine is kinda loud... I replaced the weather stripping on the doors, so I have to think its the windshield surround.

Any tips on replacing weather stripping? Is it glued in from the factory and did this fix your noise problem?

I tried to bend the door a little bit and boy it fixed the problem substantially. The wind noise is still there so I'll need to do more bending but that was the fix. Thanks everyone!

I just replaced the weatherstripping on my 91 because it was torn and leaking. I went to the local junkyard and pulled the door pieces off a ZJ and cut them to fit. They are about 6" too long but the form is correct shape.

The weastherstrip just pulls off. It has a black silicon adhesive in the channel but it won't fight when you pull on it. The hardest part is getting it started, since the outside tubular part likes to rip if you pull on it. It will also catch on the interior trim panel edges but you can get around that with a screwdriver and a little prying.

When you put it on the heep, start in the upper corner with the 90* bend in it, and make sure that corner is inserted as deep as possible, then push the rest of the way around.

BTW all of the XJ doors are supposed to be the same but I wanted better seal so I used the fatter ZJ stripping.

One of my rear doors still made noise, and it was a bent top as described in the above posts. I just rolled the window down and put muscle on the door until it closed good. The front driver's door still has a major gap around the front edge, but I will have to adjust the hinges to fix that. The rear of the door closes fine, but the leading angled edge is separated from the body by about 1/4" (no idea how that happened, but I'm guessing the hinge has wriggled loose). Other than that they all have a nice solid thud when being closed now, and road noise is almost all gone.

Back