• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesitation, rough idle... TPS?

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
When I leave a light, my jeep bogs down and sputters a lil bit... Thought it may have been fuel, still could be... but more simptoms..

I was on the trail today, and I started it up twice and it would just mis and try to keep fireing but acted like fuel was an issue.. Foot off gas petal... died... Push petal to floor... Died... pumped it... Lived but rough for 30 seconds then came back to life...

Go down the highway, let off gas going down a hill... .1000..1200..1500...1000...Just revs up a lil and drops back down, you can harldy hear it but you can see the gauge moving..

Its had a few rough starts, fuel pumps kicks on strong and loud... new spark plugs, rotor, dist cap.. ect less than 500 miles ago, and I have a can of seafoam ready for action...

Buddy said simular things happened to his Honda (bad reference I know) and said either the Idel some thing Valve or the TPS...

Hep mee, Hep mee...:helpme:

TPS or idle air control valve, when my tps went bad i thought I had a bad transmission, kept slipping in gears and randomly downshifting. Idle air will affect you at idle or at idle transitions. will either surge at idle or cut out. inless you also lost one of the sensors in the distributor...

The rough idle starts were after slightly overheating as well... may have been the issue

Well I just bought both units ($105) and I'll see what happens

Let me know what you find. Mine started acting up yesterday. Died completely and had to get a tow. Changed fuel filter and it started to run fine but drives like crap. Stall and falls on it's face. AARRGGHHH!!!

did you get the code (turn your key on and off 3 times and leave it on the 3rd time it will flash the check engine light) TPS is a code 24 dont know what iac is off the top of my head

polar_jeep_04 said:
did you get the code (turn your key on and off 3 times and leave it on the 3rd time it will flash the check engine light) TPS is a code 24 dont know what iac is off the top of my head
That method only works on the OBD-II Jeeps of years 96 and 97 (not sure if it works on all the 97's though). It won't work on the 98+'s

yeah.. and advanced auto's coder is broken... tim, ship me yours

ZacSquatch said:
yeah.. and advanced auto's coder is broken... tim, ship me yours
hahaha eff that. Come out to charlotte and i'll see whats wrong with it now...:doh:

Check your coil with a spark tester not a spark plug. I had a similar situation and ran through everything and my coil was on it's way out. It had a weak spark with a plug so it was throwing me off.

If those two sensors don't fix your problem, I would definitely run a fuel pressure check by installing a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on your fuel rail. It only takes a few minutes. Compare your findings to spec. It is possible that you have a fuel delivery problem (ie: weak fuel pump).

Check your coil primary and secondary resistances. You mentioned you did the tuneup on yours (cap/rotor/plugs) but I didn't see wires mentioned. Don't forget those.....at the least ohm them out with a multimeter to verify them. Good luck and post back what you find!

Back