• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble won't go away

JayC52FM

NAXJA Forum User
What we have done so far,
Replace steering box with AGR Super box 1
Replace ball joints
Weld the entire from end with 1/4 plate along the crossmember and attach it to the unibody.
Tighten down every bolt
Alignment- tow in
checked the tie rod ends
Check trac bar
Rims look fine to the naked eye, they don't look bent
Caster angle is 6.2 deg
All johnny joints are fine

Im pulling out my hair with this one! I want it done by Friday so I can wheel it!!

;'(

toe is usually what gives me DW when everything is tight. toe it out some.

hmm...i was going to say check your caster but it looks like you already. are you running a stock tie rod and drag? what size tires? maybe they are all wonky and flexing out badly causing DW?

Brake rotors out of balance can cause it as well... Had that issue on two WJs and 1 XJ...

my bet is on the trackbar bushings/joints or a loose trackbar mount at the frame or loose trackbar mounting bolts.

then way out of balance tires, do you have un evenly worn swampers?

how old and beat is your steering? you say you checked it out, so not a single tie rod end has play in it?

my bet is on the trackbar bushings/joints or a loose trackbar mount at the frame or loose trackbar mounting bolts.

then way out of balance tires, do you have un evenly worn swampers?

how old and beat is your steering? you say you checked it out, so not a single tie rod end has play in it?

All the joints and bushings are fine on the trac bar, and the mount on the frame was a bit loose but we tighten that fker down. Didnt make any difference.

Yea I to. They are cupped a bit im guessing cause my ball joints were bad, but we replaced them, then balanced the tires. My tow was way out thats why we put more tow in.

Steering in brand new. Custom 1 ton, along with a brand new steering pump...

But get this the steering pump that came with the box doesnt work so we had to use the stock, its not putting out enough fluids so would that have any effect?

Jackie

I recently resolved TWO cases of XJ death wobble with the installation of new track bars. The old ones had just the tiniest bit of play, almost imperceptible.

That is ALL it takes.

Something to think about, but ill take into consiteration.

Might just by another just for the hell of it.

Back