• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to press out this bearing?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rebuilding my 231. There is a bearing that is pressed into a hole that can only be reached from the top of the hole.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

231bearing.jpg

It's not perfectly focused, but it's not accessible from the back side. The view you see in the pic is the only point of access. It appears there's not enough gap at the bottom of the bearing to get anything in there to pull it out.

Any ideas? Special tool?

Thanks.

once you get the needles out, you should be able to break the race into pieces

or you could try the greasy paper towels and rod method, like you would for a pilot bearing

Is that where you dive the grease down into the hole with a close-fitting rod to force the bearing out?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

You can try that. But, there is an oil hole below it where the grease will escape. I've always used a hammer/flat blade screwdriver & pried the b!tch out. Faster than screwing around w/ hydraulic pressure.

There is an actual tool for that know as a Slide Hammer Puller. Most of the local parts store i.e. Oriley's, Napa etc. that do a loan-a-tool will let you borrow one.

The guys above share their method of removing it, you could try it their way.

Don't mess your case up now.
Heat the case around the bearing with a propane torch and use a screwdriver w/ a fulcrum on top of the cavity it is in to pry it up.
That's not a "press fit", it's a "close fit" which means the od of the race and the Id of the case are basically the same size, race is a couple tenths(.0002) less.
It will be a pain to get moving but once it does keep working around it in a circle with the screwdriver and fulcrum. Put a wet towel inside the bearing so it stays cooler than the case.
Best luck!

Did your 231 make any noise.., please describe.

Cutting the race, or wiggling the bearing out w/ a screw driver is the best method to remove a bearing in cavity like that.
You don't have to cut all the way thru the race to "smush" it a little bit and collapse the od so its smaller than the cavity.
But since its not a press fit normally a bit of heat and some good technique will take it out w/ just a screwdriver and a fulcrum.
Its always difficult to weld something that has been in contact w/ oil.

Back