• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#0331 Replacement Options...

TerryDean

NAXJA Forum User
Nay-sayer

My father has no faith in Jeep. He states that there are two proud moments in a Jeep owner's life - the day you get it and the day you get rid of it. See our email correspondance from yesterday:

My email to him:
I need your thoughts on the Jeep. My year model has a head casting 0331, which is highly prone to cracking between cyl 3 and 4, which is where mine cracked. The 0630 casting is from a 1996-1999 Jeep provides better performance due to larger exhaust ports but the exhaust ports do not line up with my 2000 model. Here are my options:

1. Direct replacement 0331 head: $425+
I would still risk cracking the head again at 50k+ miiles

2. 1998 0630 head: $320
To make this work I would need to either:
a: Buy an exhaust manifold adapter that is home-brewed by a Jeep guy who works at a machine shop. I would have to buy the adapter as well as the both a 2000 and 1998 manifold gasket. $150 for adapter, $30-50 each gasket
or b: Buy a 1998 exhaust manifold. $160

I haven't searched all of the local junk yards for a 1998 Jeep yet, but this is where I'm at currently. Let me know your thoughts...all thoughts besides "sell the jeep" or "push it in a lake".

~T-Cat

His response:
I would get an 0331 direct replacement head, put it together, and then ( though you told me not to say sell it) I would sell it, or trade it for something that doesn't say Jeep on it. all my love...jdaddy

I REFUSE to loose faith in my Jeep. I love my Jeep. I would rather push the skeptics into the lake.

(as an aside, I tried to post this in the Off Topic forum but it stated I do not have permission)

~TerryDean

Re: Nay-sayer

TerryDean said:
(as an aside, I tried to post this in the Off Topic forum but it stated I do not have permission)

~TerryDean

That just about sums it all up.

I vote to delete the post.

Ron

I figured some might find humor in this, but I forget that the internet is serious business. Thanks for helping keep the web free from things that you don't agree with, Ron.

Admins - I thought I was adding some light hearted humor and taking a chance to vent with the original post. My DD Jeep has now been down for 2 weeks and I figured this to be the only forum of people who could completely empathise with me. Please delete my post if it is truly this bothersome to the NAXJA forum.

p.s. I have found a world of useful information on this forum and hope to one day be welcome on it. I see now that I am not welcome. Maybe when I have 1,524 posts I will be.

You don't have permission because you haven't forked over for Member or Supporter status yet (sorry, but that's one of the things we had to curtail slightly to help bring bills into line.)

However, to keep this post around, I'll give you some advice, then move it to Mod Tech...

1) Get the #0630 head - 1996-1999XJ, 1996-1998 all others. The #0630 will have slightly larger exhaust ports than the #0331 (which were reduced in size for that casting,) but it's a better-breathing head and should work well for you. You'll have to make adapter brackets for the coil rail...

2) I know that the adapter brackets have been covered here before, with pictures. I just don't recall where the thread is (and haven't needed to search for it. When you find it, would you send me a link as well? I should add it to my "subscriptions" list...)

Note that there may be interference issues with "mixing" the later-model manifolds - I've no specifics on it yet, but it seems to have come up recently as an issue...

Thank you 5-90. I wasn't sure if these discussions should even go in the Modified forum since it's *somewhat* OEM. I have read every post that I can find on this topic in it's entirety, even on TJ forums. It seems that NOBODY trusts the 0331 head, even a replacement. I do see that some people are concerned about certain fit issues with the exhaust header but I just can't picture in my head what the custom conversion plate will do to the exhaust since the ports do not physically line up. I guess I should trust that other people run in this configuration with good results, I just figure $150 for a custom part compared to $170 for a upgraded, older model exhaust header may cause me to lean toward the new header.

Here is what I am considering:
Head:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chry...703409QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ShippingPayment

Header:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...ryZ33631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Think that would work for my 2000.5 Sport non/CA?

(I call it a 2000.5 because my VIN says 2001 but some things, like my alternator, I have to order like it's a 2000)

lol@bcmaxx - what ever he can get running. He's been working on a '64 Chevy pickup, which rarely works. He just traded a motorcycle for a '83 Chevy truck, which just got back from $700 in repairs. His Mercury Capri caught fire a couple of months ago, so it's gone.

TerryDean said:
I figured some might find humor in this, but I forget that the internet is serious business. Thanks for helping keep the web free from things that you don't agree with, Ron.
p.s. I have found a world of useful information on this forum and hope to one day be welcome on it. I see now that I am not welcome. Maybe when I have 1,524 posts I will be.

Humor, perhaps, but wrong Forum. Should be in OT. Oh, snap! You don't have access!
Perhaps if you decide to support the Forum, you can get access.

Not welcome? Well now, that all depends on how the rest of this thread goes.
So far, you are no more, and no less welcome than anyone else who comes here.
5-90's suggestion is a good one.

1525 azzhat :laugh3:

Ron

I'm a bit leery about "eBay hard parts," but that could just be me. However, reports from the field on eBay headers are usually bad - so that's probably not worth the bother. I've usually used Banks or Borla on high-buck buildups, and Pacesetter or Hooker on more budget-minded projects, with good results. Since you're running an HO, you've got more options than us RENIX guys...

Heads? As I understand it, they revised the #0331 casting to resolve the cracking issue - but no-one has yet told me how to identify the "revised" 0331 head from the "original" casting, so I can't pass that along. I'm sure they made some small easy-to-identify change (when you're looking for it!) but I don't know what to tell you to look for...

There is an aftermarket aluminum head out there (by Patriot Performance,) but at about $1600 per each, it's a bit steep. However, I think it's a step in the right direction by the aftermarket, and I'm hoping it helps other projects along (since it fits both the AMC242 and the later AMC258 - 1972-up or 1975-up, I'm not sure of the break, there's decent coverage for the thing.) So, maybe it will encourage development in other areas.

As far as your being "welcome" or "not welcome" - we had to make a few changes to keep the lights on a little more comfortably in this past year, and the third tier of "membership" and restricting access to OT (and a few other fori) was what we had to do. Doing so has reduced traffic somewhat, so it did help - and we do have a few dozen people who ponied up to become Supporters. Since OT was the largest area we were having traffic in, we decided to make it "pay for play" access. Since a Tech angle could be introduced into this one, it saved it from the ashcan (which is otherwise where I'd have to have put it.)

(It's "Mod Tech" mainly because you're "modifying" the engine from its OEM application - by swapping to an earlier head. That was the "tech angle" I used - I wanted to try to get you some useful advice.)

But, mainly, we were just trying to keep the lights on here - and make sure that more of the bandwidth we were using got paid for. We kept the "Basic Tech" boards open for general use (OEM, Mod, and a couple of others,) stepped up access requirements for NT, Adventure, AdFab, and a couple of others, and there are still a few "Members Only" boards - being a supporter, for instance, isn't a "full" membership - therefore you don't get access to the Members Only board or participation in governance. However, you'll still get recognition as a Supporter, rather than a freeloader - I mean, user.:wave1:

Don't let people scare you off - hang around here long enough, and the dues will more than pay for themselves - either in tech advice you pick up, or in time saved (because most jobs that want doing have been done around here, and we found easier ways to do them.) So, you really can come out ahead - even when you help us pay the bills!

So the internet isn't free? Who knew!? (j/k)

As I continue to beat my Jeep up and fix my mistakes or modify what isn't ballsy enough this forum will surely become more of a home away from home for me. One of these days I will get my funds straightened out and I will find a way to support the forum - if by no other means than to find money for a t-shirt and a sticker.

Ron - I was wondering if your 1595 post would come and go before you responded back to this thread. Thanks for replying back again in good spirits. I try to keep a good attitude in anything I write on the web and I don't like to get into e-fights. p.s., I hear at 1596 posts you get a free coaster or something, so think of something quippy to say, QUICK!

TerryDean said:
Ron - I was wondering if your 1595 post would come and go before you responded back to this thread. Thanks for replying back again in good spirits. I try to keep a good attitude in anything I write on the web and I don't like to get into e-fights. p.s., I hear at 1596 posts you get a free coaster or something, so think of something quippy to say, QUICK!

Hey - you going to buy my coster? I didn't get one when I passed 1596 - before or after the last reset!:banghead: :rof:

TerryDean said:

LOL! It's taken me 3 years to get to this post count, so I think it's safe to say I have a bit more to go before I even get close to the number some of post whores here have attained ;)

NAXJA Coaster...Hmmm :paperwork

Yes 5-90, you will have to fight me for said coaster as I hear it is very well made with the words "Jr. Post Whore" gold embossed on it's sides and a big NAXJA logo along the top.

1528... ;)

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Yes 5-90, you will have to fight me for said coaster as I hear it is very well made with the words "Jr. Post Whore" gold embossed on it's sides and a big NAXJA logo along the top.
Ron

Piffle. KNEEL BEFORE MY GREATNESS! For I have broken the mythical 10,000-post mark not once, but twice in recent months alone! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:firedevil :rattle: :roll:

(Sorry, I just had to do that. You know how it is - or you will, once you get up past the mere "four-digit post count." Slacker.:roflmao: "Junior Post Whore", Hell!:D )

Oh my...

It looks are though you have quafed the drought of Whoreness. I have nothing in my bag of sourcery to defeat such a foe. Woe is me.

No finely made coaster for me I'm afraid...

Darn you Post Whore ! :cry:

Last edited:
Back