• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS PROBLEM with 60mm bored throttle body?

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my bored out throttle body back and I installed it on my 1998 Cherokee and the engine has been acting really wierd starting up. Here are some symptons.

1 - CHECK ENGINE light is on

2 - Starting the car the engine starts low at about 600 rpms then jumps up to about 1200rpms, then as the car warms up it slowly goes back down and it feels like it is going to stall any minute. When I rev the engine and let go of the gas the car almost stalls but finds a way to keep itself running. The harder I rev the more trouble it has.

3 - P0123 error.

Should I just get some contact solution to put on the TPS? Has that worked for anyone?

Does anyone have a link to a picture of the throttle body on a 96+ Cherokee, I want to make sure I am not missing anything obvious. Thanks

Joe

Pics of a 96+ are not going to do you any good. the 96 is different from the 98 (they changed in 98 i think) and if you boared out your original one there is no telling what error you might get. The computer still thinks it is original size.
No you can't adjust your tps.
But 60mm should be within the scope of adjustment for your computer and the from what you describe it sounds like a vacume line.
check to make sure that when you were exchangeing the throttle body you didn't accidentially crack a vacume line. they get fragile after a while and crack when you bend them, you won't notice it with your eye you would have to listen to it and/or bend them to see if they open up.

that's all i got.
hope it helps.

The mounting of the TPS on the 98's is that different from the earlier models that it doesn't have to be adjusted??

On the earlier models you need to adjust the mounting so that the ratio of the input to the output voltage is 17% for a manual tranny.

I don't have a factory manual for a 98, so I don't really know, but I suspect they need to be adjusted when removed and reinstalled.

Fred

The TPS is non-adjustable on '91+ 4.0's so forget about adjusting it. It sounds like it's either bad or there's a faulty contact with the connector. Boring the TB out has no bearing on the behaviour of the engine and doesn't trigger any codes.

Disconnect your battery for the night and then reconnect in the morning. Clear everything and see what happens. If you get codes, you'll get fresh codes, if you don't get codes then you'll know why.

Also, for giggles, check all your fuses just to make sure that none of them are blown.

Chris (Double Down)

Back