• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginner offroad driving tips

jeffdean

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for any links you guys may have for the basics of offroading. My son is a newbie, and I want him to get some idea of the right way to go about offroad driving so he won't tear up our XJ by being totally out in left field. I haven't done much myself, so I'm looking for info too. Being in Texas, we are talking mostly about trails and some mud. We will be building and repairing as we learn together!
We have a 92 XJ, just put a 3" old man emu lift on it and 31" tires. Next up is recovery and skids, I think.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Find your local off road clubs and check them out, generally family oriented ones are better then the 'yahoo, watch this' type. Also check out the southwest chapter of naxja. There's a bunch of people in texas and OK...

My suggestion is to hook up with some local clubs. You dont have to join them right away, most clubs are very open to non members joining them on trail rides. I would also suggest going to a Jeep Jamboree http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/ if you can swing it. Alot of people dont like them because they are expensive. I agree, they are expensive, but they are also a venue to learn off roading the right way. A JJ is also a good place to contact local people and clubs.
Definately concentrate on getting recovery points and recovery equipment and skids. to add to the list, a CB radio, first aid kit, a basic trail tool kit.
Im not a big fan of mud, my only tip on that is to stay out of it so Ill let someone else speak about mudding tips.
The key to off roading and not breaking alot is to only go as fast as you need to and no faster, also know when to say enough is enough. Use the thottle wisely, and again, only as much as you need to. Dont be afraid to use reverse, thats what its there for. If a line isnt working out well, back up , take another look at things and try it another way. Even if you trust your spotter, dont be afraid to get out and take a look at things for yourself, it can give you a clearer idea of what you need to do. Dont let it ruin your day when you do scrape a tree or dent a fender, its eventually going to happen. That doesnt mean you will destroy the Jeep, it just means that eventually some small miscalculation is going to happen, dont be bugged or upset about it, it happens to the best of us.

Back