• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pumps for 13 gal tank?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited:
Hi guys,
ETA: Further reading leads me to believe I can turn my 13 gal into a 20...
That is right, only the vent tube is different. I've never looked inside a "13 gallon" tank, but I'm pretty sure you could shorten the vent with a small tubing cutter.

You can get even more in your tank by adding an upturned extension to the vent per the GoJeep website.
Photos and description of my take of the mod. are at the bottom of the page.
http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

Hope this helps,
Mike

From your first post, why are replacing the pump. Is it making noise, or are you overly cautious?
When I bought my first XJ I commented to another member about the noise and he told me to turn up the radio.
A bit of noise might not mean imminent failure.

I haven't looked inside a "13 gallon" tank, but I'm guessing the vent tube points down on the end.
If it does, cutting the tube off before the bend should give you a 20 gal. tank and a couple of $$ of tubing gives a couple more gallons capacity.

If you don't have a factory hitch and / or gas tank skid, you might look into adding them while you're down there.
Check your NAXJA chapter or any local "pick & pull" yards, both are sometimes available for around $50- each (mine were).
Hitches are interchangeable through all years. Tank skids are from '89 - '96.

Mike

Hey Mike,

The pump starts whining after about 15 min of driving. It's loud and sounds awful. It reminds me of a pump impeller being run on dry.

Additionally, the fuel gauge light comes on long before the tank is low on gas.

Not sure what the previous owner did to screw it all up... But I think I'll get to work this weekend and figure it out.

Drain as much gas out as you can before you drop the tank.
I used a wide plastic step stool wedged under the tank while I loosened everything.
The "bolts" that hold the tank straps are very long and might be covered with undercoating. Clean first, wear eye protection.
Mike

Hey Mike,

The pump starts whining after about 15 min of driving. It's loud and sounds awful. It reminds me of a pump impeller being run on dry.

Additionally, the fuel gauge light comes on long before the tank is low on gas.

Not sure what the previous owner did to screw it all up... But I think I'll get to work this weekend and figure it out.

Hey what year is your jeep? Mine whines loud too. It's a stupid precision. It's been doing it for near 3,000 miles. This seems to be a very common issue especially if it's an after market pump. Sadly, Bosch doesn't make an entire assembly anymore but they do still make the pump.

Here's what I plan on doing if/when mine ever does go out and would suggest it you. If your running an aftermarket crap pump. Go to a JY and pull an original assembly then order you just the Bosch pump. I think it will solve the loud problem as well as the fuel gauge issue. Yep, mine has the fuel gauge issue too. It's annoying but at the moment it's not a big problem (I'm starting on those tomorrow) because I know how much fuel I have and I just crank up Merle Haggard or Alan Jackson so I can't hear it.

PS: MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER AND CLEAN THE TANK. EVEN IF YOU AREADY CHANGED IT. If your tank is dirty it will clog your new shiny filter. Then it will burn out your pumps. And you run through circles wondering why your pumps are going out. Ask me how I know.

Back