• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle swap options ?

xj-krawler88

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys
so my ? is what options do i have to swap in a stronger axle than a d30 i have a d44 in back with aussie locker so i wana keep that one but i read the axle gear thread and if i do a waggy swap the bolt pattern is diffrent same as the 70s ford d44 the xj is 5-4.5 i beleave.. i know we can buy a built d44 for pile of money i work at a salvage yard so axles are free but we never ever get a rubicon in or new jk should i pull a d30 out of another stock xj and build it ? mine is bent thats why iam wrighting this :wow:

Why do you think you need to swap in a stronger axle? What size tires are you running, how much do you put your foot into it when you wheel?

A d44 out of a tj rubicon would be not worth it IMO. Its basically a d44 with d30 outers, and it is low pinion. A high pinion gearset yields 20-30% increase in strength over a low pinion.

A waggy 44, isnt worth it IMO, because it is a low pinion, and it is alot of work to swap one in, far from a bolt in.

What are you running for tire size and gears? Even if you threw a Dana 44 in there it's still got the same ball joints and Ujoint size as a Dana 30, only it's got lockouts and a bigger pumpkin. D30 can be fine as long as you have 297 shafts and good ball joints in there and realize that it's not an indestructible axle.

You also need to have the same gear ratio front/back, and regearing is expensive.

If you find a 4banger XJ, grab that Dana 30, redo ball joints and Ujoints, and then regear your rear axle to 4.10 to match. High pinion Dana 30 is not a bad axle at all, especially with a few upgrades.

Why do you think you need to swap in a stronger axle? What size tires are you running, how much do you put your foot into it when you wheel?

A d44 out of a tj rubicon would be not worth it IMO. Its basically a d44 with d30 outers, and it is low pinion. A high pinion gearset yields 20-30% increase in strength over a low pinion.

A waggy 44, isnt worth it IMO, because it is a low pinion, and it is alot of work to swap one in, far from a bolt in.

Holy load of BS. I would GLADLY take a LP44 over a D30.

I broke a 4.88 D30 gearset my second run out with 35s. My friend has a LP44 on 35s-37s for the past few years and hasn't broken his 5.38 gearset yet.

To the OP: Need to know planned tire size and terrain you wheel on.

^^True but you had open carrier, IMO, that's why. If you had a full detroit I think you'd still be running that axle!

^^True but you had open carrier, IMO, that's why. If you had a full detroit I think you'd still be running that axle!

I've seen plenty of full case lockers have broken gearsets as well, it just gets you by longer.

For the price of a D30 ARB/Detroit, you could easily buy a bracket set and have it welded on a D44.

My friend has a LP44 on 35s-37s for the past few years and hasn't broken his 5.38 gearset yet.

im a friend!?

i have had the same 5.38 gearset in there since 2007

broke a few alloy shafts, a few stock shafts, a full detroit locker, and a couple warn hubs.

i have been running a stock carrier and lock-rite for maybe about 2 years now

13932_506396058344_226300669_156389_323095_n.jpg

i running 33s with stock 3:73 gears i camp alot i usally hit mud rocks sand i want to put 4:56 gears but my local 4x4 shop says that would be waste of money cause d30 is weak bla bla i had a 97 tj with 36 iroks and charged the mud and rocks with it never had a problem i have faith in the d30 just wondering wat ur guys opinion is

OK...a lot of guys will flame on me, but I think the reverse cut D30 is NOT a weak axle. That being said, you cannot treat it as if it bullet-proof. I'm running a LP D30 up front with 4:56's, and a Ford 8.8 in the rear. I've got an e-locker up front, and an ected e-locker/LS in the rear. With a reasonable right foot, I haven't had a problem yet. I think the D30 is OK..maybe not the most strong, but it fits, and the HP, reverse cut gears work well.

Just my $0.02 worth

OK...a lot of guys will flame on me, but I think the reverse cut D30 is NOT a weak axle. That being said, you cannot treat it as if it bullet-proof. I'm running a LP D30 up front with 4:56's, and a Ford 8.8 in the rear. I've got an e-locker up front, and an ected e-locker/LS in the rear. With a reasonable right foot, I haven't had a problem yet. I think the D30 is OK..maybe not the most strong, but it fits, and the HP, reverse cut gears work well.

Just my $0.02 worth

I wouldn't flame you... know plenty of guys who run 35's with an HP30, I just think that at that level breakage is almost inevitable. 33's can be run with a light foot pretty reliably.

There is no way that a LP44 is not stronger than an HP30... have you looked at your housing (though the TJ housing IS weaker)? Have you compared the 30 spline shafts to the 27's? I picked up an already lunch box locked Waggy 44 in my needed gear ratio (4.10 to match my 8.8) simply because with 33's I really have no worries. Spending the coin on a TNT Truss will make my installation fairly pain free since I weld. That being said I have a JK HP44 housing in reserve that needs to be retubed and built sitting in my garage waiting to go to 35's or even 37's and lower gears down the road.

Last edited:
Back