• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rounded UCA bolts and now I'm stuck

blakews2217

NAXJA Forum User
So set out to change the upper and lower CA bushings after work. Lowers went fine. First upper I get to and I lose a socket to the unibody and round the heads on the body side. There stamped 10.9 to I'm looking at grade 10 bolts. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The factory flag bolts do not have heads that a socket fits. They are designed to be loosened from the nut side. I replace them with M10X1.5X70 10.9 bolts and 10.9 nuts.

That's correct.

This is Tech, and we want to be correct in Tech.

Let it be noted that Greeny is giving out bad and incorrect advise in Tech.

Greeny, it's shear, not side forces. And yes, clamping force matters.

OP, get a grade 8 bolt.
When did you ever concern yourself with giving out correct information?
90% of your posts are full of wrong or incorrect info that you will defend to the end even when you are proven wrong.

Please point out the incorrect info i posted in this thread.

I know exactly what forces are applied to a bolt and attempted to use easily understood terms.

I at least can cite resources to back up what i post

Failed attempt at trolling.

Last edited:
From what I have been told for clamping force grade 8 for anything that has a side load grade 5.
Supposedly the grade 5 can handle more side pressure than an 8 can due to it being softer.
https://www.rockcrawler.com/2003/04/fasteners-making-the-grade-a-technical-discussion/

This is an urban legend. From the article you posted:
"I hope it’s very clear by now that grade 8 fasteners are far superior to grade 5 fasteners."

If anything you want a harder bolt in shear so it doesn't deform, and when clamping you want something with a little more stretch. In all but some very rare cases, a grade 8 is superior to a grade 5. For suspensions, as long as the grade-5 bolt is properly sized you're probably going to rip out the surrounding structure before you break a new non-rusty bolt. Just don't buy cheap ungraded Chinese bolts from home depot any you'll be fine.

Back