• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

well toasted another 242

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Started having problems with my np242- when I had a t/case drop installed in my jeep, I managed to damage the teeth that engages 4wd. A year later I am having problems keeping it in 4 part time- low or high. just pops out and grinds. I plan on purchasing and installing a novak t/case shifter. Is it really worth buying another 242? Will a 241 work? What will fit behind my 1989 aw4? Wish there was a sticky for this.:repair: :banghead:

im pretty sure you could use the 231, theres enough guys that have swapped it to research on. the 231 has way more aftermarket support. plus i think t cases at picknpull are like 60$ on 25% off wedsnday

bcmaxx said:
Will a rubi case work??

If you could find a 21 spline input for it. I don't know if they use a different gear than 231's, 242's.

I just built this little baby for my 89. :yelclap: NP-231, swapped a 21 spline input, Tera SYE and 2 Low kit....

img139.jpg

Just did this swap on my 88. As long as it is the right spline count it is no problem. I went to the junk yard and picked one up for an 87-90 for $75 and put an SYE in it before I installed it on my jeep. Just make sure you get the linkage for the 231 because it is a little different although I think you can adjust the linkage already there to make it work.

Didn't on mine. But I used a front driveline out of a 92 and it worked just fine and I don't have my lift on yet but it still worked just fine.

lonecountryboy said:
Just did this swap on my 88. As long as it is the right spline count it is no problem. I went to the junk yard and picked one up for an 87-90 for $75 and put an SYE in it before I installed it on my jeep. Just make sure you get the linkage for the 231 because it is a little different although I think you can adjust the linkage already there to make it work.

That linkage had me wondering. I haven't swapped it in yet and I was curious if the setup from my 242 would work with the 231......

Picked up a 231 with 70,000km for $100, much cheaper than the $450 they wanted for another 242, I will try and make my 242 linkage work. My re1801 hack and tap will swap over until I decide to go with a hd kit with a new shaft. couple questions:
-can I use my 242 speedo gear on the 231? It's bang on with my 4:10's and 33's
-I can now install a front locker because I have no fulltime feature now right??
I can't wait!!! no more embarressment POPPING OUT OF 4WD ON AND OBSTICLE!

bcmaxx said:
Picked up a 231 with 70,000km for $100, much cheaper than the $450 they wanted for another 242, I will try and make my 242 linkage work. My re1801 hack and tap will swap over until I decide to go with a hd kit with a new shaft. couple questions:
-can I use my 242 speedo gear on the 231? It's bang on with my 4:10's and 33's
-I can now install a front locker because I have no fulltime feature now right??
I can't wait!!! no more embarressment POPPING OUT OF 4WD ON AND OBSTICLE!

Just wondering, but what was your hangup on the front locker? I see no reason why the fulltime feature would of stopped you from adding one........?

Brett M said:
Just wondering, but what was your hangup on the front locker? I see no reason why the fulltime feature would of stopped you from adding one........?

I was told I could only go limited slip in the front with a 242. A locker would bind things up when trying to turn, and We get four months of pretty deep snow.

Ordered the tera 2 low kit $200 -sound fair? and there is a 4:1 kit for $750, auusi's are backordered right now $325- fair?

bcmaxx said:
Ordered the tera 2 low kit $200 -sound fair? and there is a 4:1 kit for $750, auusi's are backordered right now $325- fair?

Got my Tera 2 low for 25 less.....but it helps that I used to work there ;) I'd say that's average consumer price though.

bcmaxx said:
I was told I could only go limited slip in the front with a 242. A locker would bind things up when trying to turn, and We get four months of pretty deep snow.

Someone else might be able to answer that, but with a 231 I would think it would cause more binding on the street than the 242. The 242 would at least differentiate in FT, front and rear.

Or I've gone nuts :p

Back