• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest tire size with no lift where it'll still roll

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
I got a hell of a deal on some Turbine wheels with some completely bald 35" mudders (tires are no good at all and are probably so bald they're like 34's now). I want to sell my stock Comanche Eliminator bullet-hole wheels to fund some cheap 30" tires.

Everything is stock height and I don't have a flat area to leave the Jeep up on stands without tires...... Will the 35's fit under the wheel wells so I can sell the stock wheels, or will they destroy everything on their way down off the jack?

If I had a flat place to work that wasn't soft dirt, I would just try one on for size. I wont be driving it and at most would just need it to roll a little. Will this work? The obvious answer would be to buy the 30's first, then sell the guy the stock bullet holes, but I don't have that luxury of free flowing money at the moment.

It's been years since I've been on the forum, but I knew this would be the place to find my answer.

If I am reading this right, you have a flat spot but it is soft dirt.. If this is the case, why not put plywood under the jacks so that they don't sink into the dirt.

or what you can do is measure from the center of one 35 to the outside and transfer that measurement to where your sitting at stock height from center of wheel. That would get you a close guess if they will clear or not.
The problem with putting your jeep on the 35s to sell your others is that when you need to put the new 30's on the turbines, you will be back in this same predicament of no flat spot to put it on jacks.

EDIT: I am assuming that the jeep is a spare vehicle and it wont be moving until you get the new tires..

I drove home on 35's with 3" of lift but it scraped on every bump. I think you would be fine, just take it easy moving it a short distance. The problem isn't so much rubbing the top but the front and back.

Yeah it is a spare vehicle and I do realize I'll be in the same predicament when I need to put on the 30's. My friend has an amazing shop and a tire changing machine and a balancer, so I might let the Jeep sit on 35s and then take them over one at a time when I get the new tires.
I'm very timid to leave it on jack stands for long periods of time and not entirely sure I can stuff the 35's under, but if I lift the body on jack stands, let the suspension sag, I can then use the 35's as a fail safe. It can sit for a while til I get new tires.

I've never owned anything with big meaty tires or a lift, so I wasn't considering that it would rub front/back before it hit the top.

I'll figure out what Im going to do and then report back. From just looking at it mocked up, I wasnt sure they would fit at all.

Back