• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the distributor have an o-ring?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Don't have access to the jeep right now.

Trying to figure out if there is an o-ring in the shaft that the distributor fits into? I am aware of the thin gasket on top.

Cant seem to find any definitive answers on the web. A lot of businesses pop up when I search but their product never mentions make, model, etc.

I'm not aware of any O-ring in the distributor. the dist shaft is fitted into it's housing by bronze bushings, and the thin gasket you reference seals the dist to the block. By the way, the thin gasket dosen't seal very well. I had to make a second gasket and add it to the stock gasket to get a leak-proof seal.

Man, that's what I thought.

My Dad was trying to help out with timing while I was at work and the paper gasket fell into the oil pan, so we are going to have to figure out how to fish it out, or pull the oil pan.

Thanks.

Ummmm....might be a difference in model years.
Mine is the red-headed stepchild 1996.

My '96 have nothing at all,..no paper, no 'O' ring, nothing and no leaks in more than 300,000 miles.

A finger full of RTV silicone, on the base of the distributor, with or without a gasket or o-ring, does the job.

I found an aftermarket gasket somewhere, can't find it in my email archives now

I have or used to have one. It should be somewhere here in a box on the shelf in the garage :eyes:. O'reilly's ordered it for me.

Back