• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ 4.0 NO Start

Spawn 93

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ. 4.0. Engine turns over, does not run. Put a little gas in it, not alot in anticipation of a possible fuel pump issue. New plugs, wires, cap, and button. Did have an injector wiring connector broken, has been fixed. New battery. Working in the driveway.

1. With turning the key on, should I be able to audibly hear the fuel pump running prior to attempting to start?

2. Crank sensor was unplugged, I plugged it back in. What's the odds the sensor is bad?

More questions to follow if this leads down a path or two. TIA

1. Yes, if you listen closely, you should be able to hear it run for a few seconds.
2. Bad CPS would cause a no spark condition.

Check for spark at the plugs, then check fuel pressure on the rail to help narrow down your no start condition.

I've had to replace my fuel pump relay twice this last year - although they do seem to give some warning of failing - easy to check, by substitution.

If it's an auto a bad neutral safety switch will produce similar symptons (sometimes you'll lose the back-up lights first). If slamming the shifter backwards & forwards a few times causes it to start on a turn of the key, you've found your problem.

It was the fuel pump... alternator was locked up once it got fuel... radiator was cracked once I got it running and went to put more gas in it...
JEEP
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Just put a new head, power steering, water pump, alternator, tensioner pulley, belt, rocker arms and a.c. in my jeep. Within a week the damn bearing the fan is on started squealing. Since it is pressed into the a.c. bracket and not bolted and I don't have the right press I have to spend a fortune buying a new bracket with bearing. And then I have to hope its that and not a new part wearing pre maturely... my luck isn't much better!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back