• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cracked thermostat housing

JeepZJlover

NAXJA Forum User
i cracked it by overtightening when putting back on. What do i do do i have to get a new one now? where can i get these and how tight are they suppose to be.

Autozone or the likes there of should have one. No biggie to replace. Make sure that the thermostat is seated properly . You don't need to bear down on them that much, maybe 20lbs, just make sure the thermostat is seated properly or you'll be cracking another one.

Rob

Cracked my origional - Bought one from AutoZone.

Cracked that 3 months later, went to the dealer because it was the day before Christmas eve and no other stores had them in stock.

It was like $10 from AutoZone, $15 from the dealer.

I paid $20 from the dealer with gaskets. I also siliconed the heck out of it so I wouldn't have to tighten it up so much.

red91inWA said:
Definately check the torque spec on those...

I THINK its about 13 ft lbs.

Or you'll need to buy them in bulk.

Best idea yet. It's been a while for me, but it should not be all that much torque.

Rob

I had the same thing. Couldn't find the cracks but couldn't get it to seal anymore. Got a replacement at Nappa. Didn't know the dealer would sell'm that cheap (didn't check). The Nappa repl. is cast iron, not as nice looking, but I guess more robust. Anyway, the torques are given on 5-90's website (http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/torque.html). For my year it was more than 13, think 22. Seemed on the high side for me too but it holds fine now. Anyway, you may want to check out that site by 5-90, the torque values are from the FSM's and probably our best bet.

See also

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912489

Good luck

Tim

Also I'd suggest evenly tightning both bolts down......I tightened down the top one first, then the bottom, and CRACK......

I think due to the gasket + silicone being compressed at the top and not at the bottom that was a bad idea....just added more stress to the housing.

Back