• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping out U bolts

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I'm almost embarrassed to make this a thread, but I guess the only stupid question...

With the S&!^ storm of information I've been absorbing lately I believe I was told that if I take the U-bolts off to do my leaf spring bushing swap out that I should put new ones back in. Is this true or can I reuse the old ones if they look ok?

Means about a $30 difference for the nearly $400 component replacement party I'm throwing here in the next few weeks.

With your history of rusty bolts, I would recommend new ones. Your likely to need longer ones for shimming and I recommend upgrading in size too!

If they are old ones then plan on replacing them. The odds are good you will break at least one of them in the process of removing them.

I have a spring shop here in town that ships springs all over the country. They also make their own u-bolts and I always get u-bolts there because it's faster and cheaper than ordering, plus they are made to order, diameter, size, length. I had previously ordered off the shelf u-bolts only to find they weren't long enough and couldn't return them.

Anyway, the shop here says they always need replaced when removed, even if they look good, because the threads deform a little bit and the torque reading is no longer accurate. So, that's what I do, and, as I said, they don't charge much for them and make them while I wait.

Existing U bolts should be replaced once removed.
If you are loosening or removing a new set while you're getting things dialed in then you're fine.

If you happen to have a local spring shop it will likely be (much) less expensive to purchase them there. Notice that I didn't say cheaper.

Last edited:
Back