• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 inner axles shaft oil seals ...

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
1991 XJ with D30 front diff.

I've got my entire front end torn apart for steering & BJ replacement, and my diff opened up to drain the oil and replace the leaking pinion seal (breather was blocked).

I'm going to replace the inner axle oil seals while it's opened up. Can someone tell me the Dana/Spicer part number for those seals? And a pic of the seal if possible?

The reason I'm not sure is because Rock auto lists spicer 46470 as not working on the right side of disconnect models. I don't have the disconnects, but I'm thinking ... wouldn't the inner oil seal be the same on the disconnect models? I know that the outer tube seals are different with the disco models, but I thought the inner oil seals were the same. I'm wondering if maybe this part is the axle tube seal. Anyway, here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Is that the inner oil seal or the outer tube seal?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4900455&cc=1180055&jsn=492

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
For some reason I remember reading that the disconnect axles did not have a seal in the carrier for the passenger side. The seal was farther outboard and the carrier is not setup to even have a seal on the passenger side (i.e. if you try to put it in there, it won't work). The Spicer parts list says # 42500 for the outboard seal. The left side was originally 36362 but that may have been superseded to 46470. 46470 definitely work on the newer non-disconnect axles.

Ok ... I just found some videos of D30 inner seal replacement, and that is definitely the right part. Thanks for your explanation of the disco axle setup. I don't have one, and I never learned about them. I guess it makes sense that the disco portion of the axle would share the gear oil with the carrier, and would have a different seal on it's passenger side.

Anyway, I've ordered the parts, and will put them in. So much to do ...

If anyone is interested, here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz00HwJPUNA

Um, you have a non disconnect axel right?
Then that seal should be correct for both sides. But to replace the seals the gears have to be pulled from the axel .

The CAD axel drivers side uses that seal you listed. The CAD disconnect side (passengers side) has a bigger seal near the vacuum motor that locks it. That seal has its own set of issues.

If you adapted a vacuum disconnect axel then I'm not sure which seal you need. Some Disconnect axels have the spot for the spicer 46470 seal on the passengers side, some don't .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back