• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Retained Accessory Power

MarkDelta

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, this is my first post ever. I've spent a fair amount of time with 2 different XJ's- fixing electrical gremlins, suspension upgrades, and general maintenance.
I installed a new stereo and I really want to have R.A.P. I don't need it connected with the driver door or anything- just want to be able to turn off the engine and leave it on acc.power without by Bluetooth falling out during the switch. Currently it disc/recon during the switchover and i lose my music/podcast for the next 30-40 secs while my radio turns off/on and then seeks to reconnect. I know it's a rich/white guy problem but this is important enough to me to warrant a post. On my first XJ I hotwired the unused fog light switch to toggle radio on/off and it worked great. The problem was that I had to remember to always turn it off or my amp would run my battery down. Just trying to improve on my last solution. I've searched hard and have found nothing that helps. Any thoughts are appreciated.
MarkDelta

Might be able to integrate a 'turbo timer' of sorts so if it is left on will shut down after X amo nt of time

You did not say what year XJ you have. On my 1996 XJ I have to turn the key back past the 'Off' position to the accessory position to get the radio to play i.e. the radio shuts down and the clock go off then both come on again when the key get to the accessory position.

If I am reading you correct, what you need is to remove the radio power wire from the accessory/ignition position in the fuse box and connect it hot at all times via a fuse. You then have to remember to turn it off or as suggested by the previous poster, get a timer to shut it down at a preset length of time.

My XJ is a 98'. One click back from 'run' is my acc.. The problem is that I lose radio power for a split second as I turn the key back to acc power. And that is where my BT conn is lost. Would prefer not to go the 'timer route'.. if that is even an option. Am hoping to wire into a fuse that turns on with the ACC and doesn't lose that power when turning to 'run'. If it must be done otherwise does anyone have a good 'timer' solution? Thanks for your brainstorming.

maybe a capacitor and diode in line with switched power to the HU? This might delay turn off long enough that if you turn the key in one smooth motion it won't kill the HU. Diode so that it doesn't try to power the whole vehicle ACC circuit while this is going on.

The timer is looking like your only option. I was poking around and found this.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-Relay-Hours-Cycling/dp/B00PD65UGA

Just an idea.

I used this for my dashcams as a delay when starting the vehicle so steady power flows, and as a cool down delay timer for the radiator fan on hot days. These little timers are SO useful!!

You could use the timer for your idea. Wire the timer directly to a constant battery hot, and use the accessory hot to the radio as a trigger. When you go from "run" to "acc" the timer will maintain power to the radio for "X" seconds, and by then the accessory will be back to steady.

Factory or aftermarket radio?

Either way cut the accy wire and run it to ign at the ign harness and fuse it for 10a

Accy isn't hot during start

Ign is.

From what you're saying this sounds like what you're looking for.

Also this is for true RAP keeping it running while the door is closed and car off

This is for neg door triggers.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram30.html

Back