• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door speaker wires, I think. How to test?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
My right door speaker on my 96 went out. I've since bought new speakers and the right one still doesn't work, so it wasn't the speaker.
I installed a new head unit today. They tone tested the wires before install and got continuity, so theoretically they're good.....maybe?
So I've ruled out the head unit and speaker, but not personally, the wires.

How would I find out if the wires are bad without disconnecting them from the back of the head unit. IS there a way to test them for continuity or conductivity from only the speaker end?

Last edited:
Not sure about the 96, but for 97 and above, there is a splice in the wires right at the door hinge area (in the rubber sleeve) that splits up to the tweeter. Even if you don't have the tweeters from the factory, the wiring is still there, so there is still a splice connection. The 97 and aboves are notorious for breaking at that splice from the doors opening and closing as the wires age and dryout. I had the same problem in both doors for my 2000. Both the splices had broken, so no continuity to the speakers. Once I stripped the ends and wired them back together they worked great.

That's one way to test the speakers. You can also test the speaker right at the radio (pull radio and hook up output from the radio [grey/greyblack for front right] ) If it plays than the radio and speaker is fine. The only other connection there is the factory speaker wire. Run new wires and GG.

Side note though, if it was a blown speaker originally and now the new one doesn't work even after that check to make sure you aren't shorting the posts/wires to the door itself. Pretty uncommon but still possible.

EDIT: without removing the radio you can chase them to the passenger kick they USUALLY break in the door boot. However I would suggest pulling the radio as you can test it much easier. Also not to time consuming to pull the radio lol.

Last edited:
Back