• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ ~ worst cup holders ever

Maybe drink sizes have increased that much since the XJ was designed...? We're now seeing pop cup sizes of ever increasing proportions because its being normalized to drink a liter of cola with each meal. :shocked:

Omg, 904 views on this thread.
That's...ya know Cadillac wouldn't put cup holders in there vehicles forever, but that's beside the point.
I always found a roll of duct tape on the floor makes a excellent alternative to almost three pages of well, "cup holders".
Thank God this is working it's way off the bottom of the home page!.
And I just bumped it.
Sheeez.

Omg, 904 views on this thread.
That's...ya know Cadillac wouldn't put cup holders in there vehicles forever, but that's beside the point.
I always found a roll of duct tape on the floor makes a excellent alternative to almost three pages of well, "cup holders".
Thank God this is working it's way off the bottom of the home page!.
And I just bumped it.
Sheeez.
Bumping it again, lolz! Cut the OP some slack. It was his first XJ and he is experiencing the lousy-cup-holder pains we all had when we got our first XJs. Frankly I have a '99 now and I'm so happy to have something instead of the nothing I had with my '92.

And the painful irony of all this is that I had just purchased one of the units that mount on the passenger side when I lost my '92 ... before I even had time to put it in the Jeep. Figures.

Not only is the cup holder that fits on the side of the console too shallow, they are very flimsy. The tabs break easily. Mine constantly fell off. The over the parking brake lever has been the best of the crappy solutions available to the pre 97 XJ's. It barely works for me. I've thought about hollowing out the bottoms of it to allow the container to fit a little deeper.

Oooops, didn't see that I had replied tot the post already....

Not only is the cup holder that fits on the side of the console too shallow, they are very flimsy. The tabs break easily. Mine constantly fell off...

To alleviate the weight on the tabs and prevent breakage, I found that if you put 2 small screws to hold it down near the bezel, it never moves. You don't even need the tabs. Might have been possible to ad another screw under the holder, but I don't remember. Use a smaller diameter cup or water bottle. I had one of those many years ago and I never had issues with it. Lost it after I disassembled my XJ after a flood.

Back