• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR 1 ton steering upgrade???

FYI, its called Over the Knuckle, or OTK, not high steer.

To do the OTK, you have to remove your sway bar mounts, cut off the steering stabilizer mount, and adjust your steering stops.

Yup Starboard_M is right, we did mine in about 3-4 hours, minus the paint... (did that the night before) its a really easy install.

^^ Yup you will, you'll most likely have bump steer without one. I got mine from JKS.

all the above are 100% correct. i got mine and thought about it until i looked at it aliitle more closely. a little too much modding than i wanted to do at the time. but it is possible

Any write-up? Where you move the sway bar mounts and trac bar mount to?
ruggedjeep said:
more then likely you'll need to build a over the axle mount for the track bar too.
Grind off the old one and start anew?

paulhead said:
Any write-up? Where you move the sway bar mounts and trac bar mount to?

Grind off the old one and start anew?
No write ups but ill give you pictures. I cut off the old sway bar mounts and didnt relocate. The XJ doesnt see much street time, pretty much to and from the trail only and thats just for a few for months. You can raise the mounts and run shorter disconnects though.

Trac bar mount, i built one just over the axle. I had a gusset for my upper CA and i just boxed it in and went off that. Take into account when you raise your trac bar you need to shorten it also. I took 4 inches out of my TNT and re welded it.
DSC01624.jpg

DSC01627.jpg

here is the problem i ran into
DSC01628.jpg

a mock up of where the trac bar needs to be
DSC01629.jpg

and the ugly bracket i made
DSC01655.jpg

as she sits.
DSC01654.jpg

sweet, thanx. What about the pitman, drop or stock? (just did this to my YJ, my XJ is next :)

I didnt adjust the track bar at all. Sure it could do it, but the stock mount works fine for me. No bump steer to speak of.

Originally I had a 1'' drop pitman arm:
P1010773.jpg

Then I put on a stock arm to get the angles a bit better:
P1010781.jpg

Starboard, how much lift are you running? I'm debating getting a drop pitman arm but don't want to have to relocate the track bar. Seems like it would create extra stress on the mount. I'm at about 5.5 up front.

It seems like you could get by like starboard. Those angles don't look too bad. It is a dd right starboard? I would definitely elect to move instead of re-move my swaybar though.

If you want to keep your swaybar, you can. It's just alot more work. You'll need to raise the swaybar mounts on the axle, instead of cutting them off. You can make your own or several places sell them. You could just hack the old one off and weld the new ones on.

You may or may have clearance issues with the coil bucket as well.

I am going to do the JCR OTK as soon as I pick it up July 7 when I go back home to Kzoo for a week.I also going with the JKS longer sway bar mounts and top of axel trackbar mount. Also RE custom trackbar kit and RE frame mount with brace. I will try to get pic of the process I will be doing it the week of the 14th. I have everything in but the trackbar as they take a while to make I ordered mine on june 5th and still isnt done so I told them to hold on to it to save me shipping and I will pic it up when I am there.

What's the deal with the steering stops? Do they need to be ground off? Shortend? I ordered my setup last week and the stops are the last thing left to get done.

Back