• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump stops

96blackxj

NAXJA Forum User
hello again, i've bought my 32 x 11.5 and i have 15x8 wheels with 4" of backspacing and i'm putting a 4 inch lift on my 96 xj, i was wondering how some people added their "hockey puck" bump stops cuz i think i'm gonna want some. i just wanna know how you attached theirs and where exactly they put them. Also if you have a similar setup to what mine is gonna be, please let me know how it is working, and any problems you ran into.
thanks a lot

I just sat the hockey pucks inside the coil on top of the spring perch. Ive never had one fall out, and it looks better than the ones that are apoxied to the bumpstop.

I used three on each side...

puck.jpg

While the springs were out... i drilled a hole through the spring pad... on the passenger side, you can't get under it, so I drilled and tapped it for a 1/4" thread...

Popped the pucks inside the springs... loose.. during the instal and then bolted them in once the springs were seated..

My set up is close to yours, but I have more backspacing and that helps for clearance... 15x7 with 4-1/2" bs..

stuff.jpg

I also made extensions for the ubolt plate in the rear.. to hopefully let the springs live a little longer...

Trimming in the rear was simply done with a 4 pound hammer... just had to fold the lips over...

rbump2.jpg

Your going to need to limit travel,with those tires and wheels youll rub like crazy!

BTW:I put a hockey puck in on my last trip out(as A test),it wasnt there when I got home!

RCP.. when you put in the hockey puck it's best to attach it with some of the silicone gasket maker... .when I had mine on (for a short while till I got right shocks and trimmed) I put silicone on the puck, lifted the side by a rail and slipped it in through the coils (oh yeah... beforehand I took a wire brush and then some solvent to the pads) and I gently pushed it down: you don't want to SQUEEEEZE the life out of it as that gets the silicone to squeeze out the sides and you loose your "glue". It's kind of what you do with diff covers: attach them gently and let them sit for 15 ~20 minutes before you torque them down.... (but since there is no bolts here you just leave it at that)

Kejtar

JB weld em in there. :D

Isn't it better to create as much clearance as you can first, then add your pucks. I think most rigs can run 33's on a 4.5" lift with a single puck and some trimming. Pucks would limit the travel.....maybe too much? I'm thinking strictly about wheel travel and the more the .....well.....better?

Yes.. the bumpstops will limit uptravel... no question... but only a few inches worth....

For me.. it wasn't really a whole lot though... and within a week, I'll be locked front and rear so what I lack in the couple inches of travel... well.. you know...

newflex.jpg

Lost traction before I could seat the rear tire on the bumpstop...

ramp.jpg

That looks pretty good robs. And the only way to attach them is to bolt them in, common guys. It's not that hard to pull your coils and drill & tap the spring pad the right way is it?

You call zero rear flex good?That looks terrible!

Bah, that's not too shabby for a medium sized rig. Don't you remember the good old days when you wheeled it more than you wrenched on it?

True... I'm just a porch puppy...

I've spent a WHOLE lot more time wrenching than wheelin... but I'm still learning...

Next week, I'm pretty much done... (gears and lockers over with)... then it's wheelin in earnest...

On the ramp... I lost traction before seating the rear... so it ain't flexin at all... on the trail, it's fully seated...

Back