• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another CB question not related to previous post

Cris_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys Im looking into buying a CB to use in the trails ,but dont know a thing about CB's .....want to spend around the $50 range just to use when I go wheeling about once a month .
a CB is just a CB or What should I be looking for ?? brands ect...
anthenna lenth ?

Hi,

As I'm not from the states I can't tell you anything about brands you have there (but I think some are the same).

Because of the antenna length: There are 2 types of length. 1-The technical length (you can measure). 2-The electrical length (it's measures in parts of Lambda).
a quarter lambda (1/4 Lambda) is the simplest version of antenna. better performance you will get with longer ones (6/8 Lambda). but this is just for receiving other CB-breaker.
the technical length sometimes coresponds to the elestr. length. So you will get 6/8 Lambdas from about 80cm up to meters. For wheeling you should have a look at a flexible version which will not break.
when you want to use a amplifier then you have to have a look at the max performance from the antenna. A friend of me grilled his antenna coil :wierd: .

Most important is that you adjust the antenna. You should use an SWR meter to adapt the standing wave ratio. If this is not adjusted you will have the max performance loss and it could be that you burn the power amplifier in the CB. This should be done every time you change the CB to an other one or get a new antenna.
The adjustment is done at the antenna where you adjust the length of the rod. (Sometimes you have to cut it shorter - but be carful not too short. the best adjustment is on a certain length.)

For the CB radio I can't tell you anything because you have different types in the states. Just look for a stable, max allowed powerfull CB. (Here in Austria we are only allowed to use 40 channels and 4 Watt FM at the 11 meter band).

I hope I could help you a bit.

greetings from Austria
Rainer :wave:

Woodstock said:
Hi,

As I'm not from the states I can't tell you anything about brands you have there (but I think some are the same).

greetings from Austria
Rainer :wave:

Thanks ..damn you are far ...may be I should go wheeling in the Alps sometime the view must be spectacular ...always wanted to go in the Alps area ..take care

Cris_XJ said:
Thanks ..damn you are far ...may be I should go wheeling in the Alps sometime the view must be spectacular ...always wanted to go in the Alps area ..take care

The alps are wonderful - but most of them are not allowed to drive up with a car or even mountainbike. just hiking.
And a lot are impossible to go up with a car - even a Jeep :wave:

When you are really here - we can go up some high mountains. But try to do it in mid-fall. The other time it is too dangerous (Lot's of snow or due to weather - thunderstrikes - in summer). Smaller mountains (up to 2000 are not so dangerous - but take care of the weather). :wave:

$50.00 on Ebay got me a nice Cobra CB complete kit, antenna and power (just wire it into a lighter plug), works great on the trail, I heard more truckers than I ever had bad dreams of until I changed to CH 4. In an XJ, mount it under the driver seat, mount the mic on the dash, and call it good.

Back