• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump Stops

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
After questions about tires it sounds like I need bump stops to keep from chewing up my fenders. Here is my set up. maybe I can get a clue on what to buy to prevent it from happening. Pictures of some one elses bump stops with basically the same set up would really help.
I have a 4" trail master lift. I am going to add another 1". I have 3.75 back spacing on 31x11.5x15 LTB Swampers. No sway bars. I have cut 1/2" deep wounds in both front tires and torn my fenders to shreds down by the rocker panel where the last bolt on the flare hooks up.The inner plastic wheel wells have long since been trashed. The front isn't a problem because I have trimmed extensively. Are the bump stops the rubber thing hanging down from inside the coil spring ? Or are they on the bottom ? I have nothing on the bottom where the retailer holds it onto the suspension. Again pictures would be nice. What would be the cheapest way to prevent the tire and body damage ? I'm still putting in the extra inch , but they say that won't help the problem. I may want 32" next time though. LTB's are as brutal to the vehicle as they are to the Trails. Lots of traction though.
Thanks

Someone will probably answer with more detail, but yes- the rubber sticking down inside your coils is the bumpstop. The metal its mounted in is the bumpstop tower, and at the bottom of your coil where the retainer is is the flat pad that your bumpstops come into contact with.

One cheap way to increase your bumps is to glue hockey pucks to the bottom plate inside your coils. A fast search for "hockey puck" should show you many threads and pics.

Check out NAXJA's sponsors someone might just have a *new product* that works kind of cool for bump stops, front and rear.

hinkley

nhrocker said:
Someone will probably answer with more detail, but yes- the rubber sticking down inside your coils is the bumpstop. The metal its mounted in is the bumpstop tower, and at the bottom of your coil where the retainer is is the flat pad that your bumpstops come into contact with.

One cheap way to increase your bumps is to glue hockey pucks to the bottom plate inside your coils. A fast search for "hockey puck" should show you many threads and pics.

I can vouche for the hockey puck bumpstops in the front, especially at less than a buck a piece! But i wouldn't trust just gluing them down. Take a little more time and drill a hole in the center of the spring pad(bottom part);there is a dimple in the middle of the pad to start the hole with. Then tap the hole and install with 3/8 bolt/washer. NHL regulation hockey pucks are exactly 1" thick, so add approx 3/4" to how ever many pucks you add to get the correct bolt length.
I have the RE 5.5" kit with 1 3/4" spacers in front with a heavy winch bumper and winch. I had to add 2 pucks to the 3" Plastic bumpstop RE supplies with the kit for a total 5" of bump stop.
A good way to know how much to add...however much lift you add from stock, thats about how much bump stop you should add. ie.- 5" lift=5" of bumpstop.

As for the rear...I would reccomend the DGP OFF-Road Adj. bumpstop plates. Although I have them installed with 4.5" leaf packs and 1 3/4" shackles and i have never came close to touching them...i think its time to fab up a bracket to lower my OE bumpstops.

If ya got any ques shoot me a P.M., or check out my site- www.cardomain.com/id/xtreme5644 -i havent updated it in a while

RE-xtremeXJ said:
A good way to know how much to add...however much lift you add from stock, thats about how much bump stop you should add. ie.- 5" lift=5" of bumpstop.
Not sure i agree with this... Lift on my vehicle wasnt just to gain height and clearance, it was also to grab more rocks with increased articulation...and keep my tires on the ground.

My sugestion is to trim as much as you are comfortable with, then start adding bumpstops to make up for it... I know there are people who care about what their rigs look like and all that garbage, but i'd rather hack more than limit flex... THIS IS MY OPINION and i am alowed to have it

Well I have factory bump stops and 4" of lift. So I'm sure I'm compressing way to far and that is causing the carnage on my fenders. I think when I add another inch I'll go with longer stops and see where I'm at then. If it is still bad I'll add a puck or 2. I'm kinda with Opie in the idea of more articulation, even if I have to cut. I have cut quite a bit already though. With out Different flares I'm about done for now.
Thanks for the input guy's !

I’m running BFG 31”x10.5” with 3” of lift in front in the front and 5” or so in the back. I used a hockey puck (1 x 1”) for the front and a 2” spacer in the back. The fenders are NOT trimmed and I haven’t had a problem with rubbing yet. Grand total was less than $10 and two hours worth of time.

Back