• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wish list

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
I am compiling a wish list of stuff I want to do to the XJ. I am toying with the idea of an 8.8 in the rear, re-gear and toss in a locker. What would be a good choice for the front? I am planning on running 32"s. Is the D30 capable of that tire size? What would be a good moderate swap? I am not interested in going extreme like a D60 or anything, just more reliable.

In my experience, the HP30 is more than capable of 32" tires, at a price of somewhat accelerated wear on the hubs and ball joints... especially if heavier (steel) less backspaced wheels are added.

I liked my Detroit True-Trac limited slip in the front of my MJ... enough that it will likely end up in the front of my XJ DD. OTOH the EZ Locker in the front of my trail rig is pretty invisible on the road in 2WD and works great off road. You will need another front carrier to make the jump from OEM 3.55:1, so do your homework and explore the pros/cons of what's out there. I suppose a selectable like the OX or ARB is the best of both worlds, at a price.

I think 4.56:1 gear ratio would serve most folks well with 31-33", but 'think hard' and decide if 32" is gonna be it. I'm sort of locked in to 4.56 for awhile, but the trail rig with AW4 and 33" would be happier with 4.88:1

As far as reliability... upgrade to the later model front shafts that use a larger Spicer 5-760x ujoint... maybe if your crafty you could grind a bit of metal off the inside of the yokes to accept 'full-circle' retaining clips. Refresh the driveshaft joints and add a "u-bolt" style yokes at the axle pinions to lose those cheetmetal straps.

If the 8.8 is in the cards, maybe add some weld where the tubes meet the housing :dunno: I like a 44, but then again, I have a couple and I'm sort of invested to them with gears & such.

Back