• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Transmission Problem

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Some background info first: 99 XJ AW4 Auto 106xxx miles.
As some of you may recall I posted up about flopping my XJ on the roof the before X-mas. Well, the insurance company decided not to total it by $71.29. I recently got it back after 3.5 weeks of it being in the garage for a new roof/windshield etc. etc. Immediately after I took it in for inspection as it was due the end of the month and had to have the front drive shaft u joints and both axle joints in the front replaced (probably due to hitting the ditch and jolting forward). I also had the trans flushed a month before the accident.
Anyways two weeks go by and my mom has been driving the XJ daily and has not had a single problem since until yesterday. They were on their way back from Altoona to St. Marys, and as they were leaving Sheetz the reverse went out. So they were an hour and a half away from home and decided to drive it anyways because every other gear shifted smoothly and no change in RPM's. Eventually they got onto interstate and when they reached 65 it was shifting roughly and was cruising around 4200rpms. So she called me when they got home which was around midnight last night and too late for me to do anything so I went over first thing this morning and started inspecting what I could in the driveway.
Transmission lines appear to be in good shape from the radiator to the transmission. The whole underneath from the front of the transmission to the back of the jeep including the top of the lift gate. There is a "seal" between the trans and oil pan and it appears to be leaking a small trace of oil and a large amount of trans fluid. So I started the jeep and left it run to get up to operating temps checked the trans fluid and it was barely even showing on the dipstick but the fluid that was there is still red with a brown tint and is absolutely one of the worst smells I've ever encountered.
So aside from the trans fluid needing flushed once again, what are your opinions on NO REVERSE and trans fluid everywhere? Thanks guys for your help. If you need more info let me know.

Low mileage used AW-4's are cheap as dirt. Find one at www.car-part.com and install it. There is no reason to re-build an AW-4 when they are so cheap and removing and reinstalling takes just a few hours.

but the fluid that was there is still red with a brown tint and is absolutely one of the worst smells I've ever encountered.

Burnt smelling fluid is a bad sign. I agree burnt tranny fluid smell is extremely nauseating. Good luck getting that smell off your hands or clothes after getting it on you, btw.

Also forgot to mention that all gears are shifting fine but when put into reverse there is a whistling sound coming from somewhere but not entirely sure from where.

Well, things arent looking good at all. It needs a different transmission put in due to loss of fluid and shredding the insides of the trans. My moms boyfriend went over to look at it so I was unable to get pics but he said the whole inside was nothing but metal slivers and small gashes from a few of the internals snapping.

Back