• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP 44 Build-Up

HoodRichXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure if this thread belongs in here or in the Non-Tech Forum, but i am seeking out some help to see if i can find some build-up threads on narrowing a HP44 to use waggy shafts. I have read BillR's thread and I am just seeking some more information to fill in the cracks. Thank you for looking -steve

I have a few questions for anybody. I am just now starting to gather parts to build a HP Dana 44 front cut down to Waggy size.

How much did the housing cost? OR whats the typical price to pay for a Ford HP 44 housing that needs to be cut down?

Where and how much do spindles and hubs cost?

Did you reuse the factory locking hubs or did you get Warn hubs?

That spread sheet is really nice.

AARON

Housings are about $100-$150.

I bought my spindles new for about $90 each and Warn premium hubs were about $80.

I paid $100CDN (~$80USD) for the bare housing and both flat top knuckles at a local wrecker.

I almost feel guilty about it...almost.

r@m

Jes said:
Housings are about $100-$150.

I bought my spindles new for about $90 each and Warn premium hubs were about $80.

Where did you get new spindles from? Is that something you get at NAPA or is there a cheaper place online. Are the Warn hubs just the locking part, or the actual hub that the wheel bolts to and holds the bearings.

Thanks,

AARON

if you want the spindles to be able to use Ford (5on5.5) hubs on Chevy/Waggy knuckles (for high-steer) than you need the small bearing chevy spindles. they are somewhat rare, but BillR gave a link to them at a great price in this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=384958

I want the Ford 5x5.5 pattern. I really dont care for hi steer so the factory ford spindles should be fine. I am doing this axle on a budget and $100 for hi steer arms isnt something I have lying around. Flipping the TRES on top of the knuckle is enough for me. It works on my current Dana 30 and I can swap all the TRES over to the 44 when it gets swaped in.

BTW thanks for the link. It looks like the place BillR found has a lot of good stuff for a decient price. :D

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I want the Ford 5x5.5 pattern. I really dont care for hi steer so the factory ford spindles should be fine. I am doing this axle on a budget and $100 for hi steer arms isnt something I have lying around. Flipping the TRES on top of the knuckle is enough for me. It works on my current Dana 30 and I can swap all the TRES over to the 44 when it gets swaped in.

BTW thanks for the link. It looks like the place BillR found has a lot of good stuff for a decient price. :D

AARON
I just wish I'd been shown that link BEFORE I bought mine. :rattle: :laugh3: They DO have most of the stuff you'll need though.
The spindle needs to match the outer axle shaft you'll be using, in addition to bolting to the outer knuckle. If you're gonna skip the flat-top knuckles and keep the stock Ford units, then be sure to use Ford outer shafts with the Waggy inners. I'm running flat-tops, so I'm using Chevy outer shafts on mine.

Thanks for the heads up BillR. I will keep that in mind.

AARON

I have been buying 78 bronco hp housing cheap because they are cast mounts and no body wants them.Then I removed the tubes my self and had a local shop here in denver ( coloradocustomcrawlers.com ) re tube them to use waggy shafts using 3 inch .50 inch wall dom...beefy monsters. I have paid from 20 to 85 for a housing.Spend 1.5 hours removeing the tubes and they only charged me 250 to tube it...and its way beefy.....I have 3 empty housings ready for tube....come to Denver much?? hahaa

I should have a slick write up too on my 44 front...soooooon. :D

This is a nice thread, Korda, good link! :cheers:

Back