• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor leaking, gasket?

Uglygreenxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just found a new leak at the base of my distributor. It's a 4.0 HO by the way. Is the gasket an expensive dealer item or down to my local Autozone?

Also, I just replaced my oil pressure sending unit a few months ago and the electrical connector is constantly covered in oil. Is it possible that oil is leaking through the inside of the sending unit and into the connector and out ? the metal hex end where the unit threads in is dry.

Thanks

Dave

did you install new o-ring gaskets on the oil filter housing yet?

Yep, took care of that a while back. It's definitely coming from the base of the distributor.

Dave

David Tucker said:
. . . Is it possible that oil is leaking through the inside of the sending unit and into the connector and out ? the metal hex end where the unit threads in is dry.

Thanks

Dave

Yes - it does happen -- cleaning that all off with a good solvent letting it dry then wrapping the sender in a paper towel (secure with a rubber band and poke the connector through) before letting it idle for about 10-minutes will show what leaks you may have on the sendor -- some of the cheap ones have leaked where the connector is apassed into the housing, but usually you'd see some value/pressure errors first (the failure is in the sender's diaphragm - oil will leak past the diaphragm and pressureise the "can" and since that electrical connection isn't set-up to hold bak your engine's 60+psi you'll get some leakage by that crappy rivet...)

Another test (though with the mech fan this is how it gets done around here) is to clean the area and drip a little bubble-fluid (soap and glycerine in water) over the connection with the harness unplugged - while you're keeping that area "moist" start the engine to allow the pressure to build - the deflecion of the diaphragm usually isn't enough to blow a bubble, but in ingress of oil to the sender's cavity should be ...

Back