• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery question

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to be putting a new battery in the XJ real soon, I wanted to know if anyone here was running one of those new lithium ion batteries like Ballistic.

If you are, are you happy with it? I almost bought a red top optima today but thought to myself, there has to be something newer than this out there.

IIRC There was a company making Li/ion batteries that were small enough to fit two in a stock TJ battery tray and each one was as strong as the lead/acid one it was replacing. I can't remember who it was though.

I'm running lithium iron phosphate batteries in all my motorcycles, will never go back to anything else. The one in my harley weighs about 2 lbs and is rated at 240cca.

They are all "battery tender" brand. I have had the oldest one for around 3 years, not a single issue.

The bad news...as far as I know, the largest one they make is 480cca, and only rated for a 10 amp charge rate.

I was just checking some specs on the ballistic brand, same issues....charge rate is max of 20 amps on the largest model. I'm sure you're aware your alternator puts out 5 times that, nor sure I'd want to risk it.

I was just checking some specs on the ballistic brand, same issues....charge rate is max of 20 amps on the largest model. I'm sure you're aware your alternator puts out 5 times that, nor sure I'd want to risk it.

Yea I did a little googling last night and found a Li/ion battery that would fit the bill. It was $1200!!! Looks like I'll be staying with something a bit more traditional like an Optima or an Odyssey this time around. Maybe when it's time to replace this one the prices for Li/ion technology will have come down to a more reasonable level. :wow:

EDIT: My mistake... It's $1300! http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/12-volt-lithium-ion-batteries/12v-100ah-lithium-ion-battery.php

Last edited:
Back