• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 jeep cherokee, aw4 transmission problem.

sjordanxj

NAXJA Forum User
So long story short i bought a '99 cherokee that I was told had a cracked valve body. The price was right so i jumped at it. I never did drive the cherokee before having it brought to my house, but was told it would move on it's own on a flat surface but it would not move going up an incline.

I have looked all over the valve body and can't find the 'crack' has anyone dealt with a cracked valve body on an aw4. Would it be a noticeablecrack to affect performance?

To compound the issue I live in St. Thomas, USVI. parts availability are slim at best (going to the pull n' save yard and getting a used transmission isn't an option)

I can see some the edges of the clutch packs, and there is play in them when i wiggle them side to side- is this normal?

Thanks!
Seth

Use the Google, and find the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manual. Perform the tests and follow the diagnostic charts.

Until you determine what is actually wrong, all anybody can do is guess as to the cure.

Back