• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced Oil Pressure sensor. Is this a normal read?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Did the swap to a Gauged cluster over the idiot lights, replaced the sensor, clipped a female connecter from a gauged Cherokee.

Its hooked up now and when Im ideling I have a constant 22 read. When driving the gauge maybe goes up to 30. Is that normal?

When the Jeeps off the gauge will go down to zero eventually but it take awhile. Does that all sound right?

Thanks!

Sounds kind of low to me, but otherwise normal. I would expect about 20-40 at idle and higher than that at higher rpms. Mine stays between 40 (idle) and 80 at cruise.

Sounds kind of low to me, but otherwise normal. I would expect about 20-40 at idle and higher than that at higher rpms. Mine stays between 40 (idle) and 80 at cruise.

First off factory gauges can be horrible inaccurate. If you are truly worried about it, I would run a mechanical gauge and see what it says. As a rule of thumb, you want 10 psi of oil pressure for every thousand RPM.

My 99 (~173K) goes down near 20 at hot idle and runs between 40 and 50 at speed, hot or cold. My 95 (~260K) goes down near 20 at hot idle but runs around 80 cold, and 60 hot. I suspect it's inaccurate, but it's obviously not hurting.

I'd be a little concerned if you don't get up over 40 at high rpms, but would not worry too much until you've double-checked the gauge with a mechanical one. You don't have to replace the electric gauge once you've determined what's normal. It really doesn't matter what the numbers say, as long as you know what it is when it's normal.

Mine runs @ 45+ on the highway at anything over 2k RPM
Idling runs @ 20-40

BUT, I have a new pump, my oil is crystal clear Castrol 10-40 full synthetic. I've eliminated the gunk factor. When I changed out my sensor I cranked it (didn't run)without the sensor on to blow out the crap. Messy, yes. Clogged, no. All tight now.

ParadiseXJ said:
Mine runs @ 45+ on the highway at anything over 2k RPM
Idling runs @ 20-40

With the recommended 10W-30 oil, oil pressure should be about 20-25psi at hot idle and 45-50psi at 2000+rpm so yours is right on the money.

What about under 2k? I'm running 2000 rpm plus or minus a few at highway speeds and I never see more than 20-25. I always see 40-50 when the motor's cold, but after that it always goes down to 20-25. I'm running 10W-30.

Back