• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ factory tow hooks okay for recovery?

Actually, somebody grabbed that picture off the Internet, because I made those. Rusty's 4x4 used to make something similar.

A former member bought something similar, could not find his post. I did find a post where someone drilled these to bolt to the factory bracket: http://www.bigdaddyoffroad.com/prod...ducts_id=49&osCsid=u2nurfcdol54526hu1bsjf0d76

d_16152_1.jpg

Is this what you mean by the tow eye?

s-l225.jpg

I did Google image search, and that's one of the things that came up. I don't know what the purpose of that would be, other than to tie down on a ship or something, certainly wouldn't use that for recovery.

That it! Except '97 up didn't just have that piece of angle but it had a long "tail" extending backwards, with another hole right at the end.
It's more substantial than any tie-down I've seen (which tend to be pressings), there's only the one & it lines up with the cut-outs in the valence as if for attaching a tow rope.
I've certainly used mine for towing/being towed & once for a fairly light recovery, when I'd managed to get it grounded on the back axle, with one front wheel pawing the air. More of a tow on rough ground really.
Surely, at the end-of-the-day, it's as strong as the bolts & where they bolt through - & that's exactly the same as the hooks. Maybe I should find some HT bolts?

That it! Except '97 up didn't just have that piece of angle but it had a long "tail" extending backwards, with another hole right at the end.
It's more substantial than any tie-down I've seen (which tend to be pressings), there's only the one & it lines up with the cut-outs in the valence as if for attaching a tow rope.
I've certainly used mine for towing/being towed & once for a fairly light recovery, when I'd managed to get it grounded on the back axle, with one front wheel pawing the air. More of a tow on rough ground really.
Surely, at the end-of-the-day, it's as strong as the bolts & where they bolt through - & that's exactly the same as the hooks. Maybe I should find some HT bolts?

My set up is like that with a tow hook. I would post a picture here but for some reason can't.

Back